Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on iPhone 3Gs being used as an ipod

I have an issue. I upgraded to the 4Gs, gave my wife my Phone 4 and plan to use her old 3Gs as an iPod touch for my son. Here's the issue I'm running into. I created an iCloud email for my son on order to use iMessage for free texting. The 3Gs which has been upgraded to ios 5 still shows my wife's phone number as an option to receive iMessages at. Obviously this is a problem because if I send a text to my wife or my son it goes to BOTH phones. I'be removed the sim card from. The 3Gs and even deleted the phone number from the 3Gs but it does not remove her phone number. You also cannot delete her phone number in the iMessage options for receiving texts.

Will I have to set the phone up as new in order to correct this issue?

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 3:30 PM

7 replies

Oct 16, 2011 12:37 AM in response to thegoldglover

I had the same problem. I believe that I have a word around. It would've been a solution if the number would be removed from the settings but oh well; one must take the small victories sometimes.

What worked for me:

I disabled/enabled iMessage. It still shows the number under "Receive at" and the number has a status of "Verifying". It also shows the "Waiting for activation..." text. However, the device is not receiving messages anymore and that's what I was shooting for. Hopefully this works for you as well.

Oct 23, 2011 8:34 PM in response to thegoldglover

I have the same problem. Activated a new iPhoto with Verizon and ported over my old number from AT&T, however had connection problems while the port took a day to go through, and in the meantime, VZW assigned me a temporary number. That number is still associated with iMessage.

I have:

1. switched iMessage on/off & reverified

2. restored from iTunes

3. wiped all settings and restored as new

4. wiped all network settings.

5. removed sim card, restarted phone, and reset network settings (interestingly, imessage still has the wrong number associated with it with sim card REMOVED leading me to believe this is truly an apple server problem...

apple support has thus far been unhelpful.

May 11, 2012 12:06 PM in response to sixtwenty3dc

This really is an Apple server side issue. I switched to a droid phone and people cannot SMS me since it thinks I have iMessage still. I called Apple support to have them unregister the number and they told me I have to pay $29 to get ANY further help than just saying "Yeah, that's a problem." Nonetheless, I'm furious over this and it's really changing my opinion of Apple as a company. Never buying another Apple product. Shame, shame, shame.

Sep 27, 2012 7:14 PM in response to thegoldglover

This only began for me with iOS6. I (or thought I had) already removed the number from my old 3GS. Now my son gets my SMS messages, and I get nothing. It's not even connected to a mobile network, it's taking texts from any Apple product to my phone number and pushing them VIA wi-fi to his device, but not mine. Potential security issue here Apple?

I just want to remove my phone number from iMessage on the Apple system. If I had the phone handy, I suppose I could just smash it, but I'd still be missing my texts. I may have to change my phone number at my own expense. I note the lack of support.

Apr 4, 2013 10:26 PM in response to thegoldglover

I fixed this issue. I was using an iPhone 4, recently switched to a Windows phone. However, all incoming texts sent by my family/friends who use iPhones were still being sent as iMessages despite sending them as texts to my phone number. I noticed that my phone number was still a part of my iPhone although I changed it. I spent about 2 hours first with ATT support then with Apple support but no luck. I was told to basically restore my iphone to default settings(which means i have to lose all data). But I took my chances & tried the following which fixed the issue.

1. Go to Settings-->Messages-->Send & Receive-->sign out of your Apple ID

2. Back in Settings-->Messages, turned off the iMessage.

3. Go to Settings-->Facetime, signed out of your Apple ID.

4. Back in Settings-->Facetime, turned off the Facetime.

5. Now go to Settings-->General-->Reset-->Reset all settings-->confirm it.

Now it will reset all settings in your iPhone ( it WILL NOT delete any data). Now turn off the phone & power it back on. Now go back to settings & turn on iMessage, log in with your Apple ID & repeat the same with Facetime as well. You will now receive text messages to your new phone. People can iMessage when they send it to your email associated with your iPhone. Hope this helps. If anyone from Apple support is reading this post, please share it amongst your team.

Jun 5, 2013 7:44 AM in response to anil024

anil024 wrote:

I fixed this issue. I was using an iPhone 4, recently switched to a Windows phone. However, all incoming texts sent by my family/friends who use iPhones were still being sent as iMessages despite sending them as texts to my phone number. I noticed that my phone number was still a part of my iPhone although I changed it. I spent about 2 hours first with ATT support then with Apple support but no luck. I was told to basically restore my iphone to default settings(which means i have to lose all data). But I took my chances & tried the following which fixed the issue.

1. Go to Settings-->Messages-->Send & Receive-->sign out of your Apple ID

2. Back in Settings-->Messages, turned off the iMessage.

3. Go to Settings-->Facetime, signed out of your Apple ID.

4. Back in Settings-->Facetime, turned off the Facetime.

5. Now go to Settings-->General-->Reset-->Reset all settings-->confirm it.

Now it will reset all settings in your iPhone ( it WILL NOT delete any data). Now turn off the phone & power it back on. Now go back to settings & turn on iMessage, log in with your Apple ID & repeat the same with Facetime as well. You will now receive text messages to your new phone. People can iMessage when they send it to your email associated with your iPhone. Hope this helps. If anyone from Apple support is reading this post, please share it amongst your team.

Just went through these steps and they worked PERFECTLY! Thank you!

iMessage on iPhone 3Gs being used as an ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.