Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS update blows all apps away, all folders, all data, does NOT restore from last backup

What the F is with this iOS5 BULLSH*T update? It treats my device like a brand new device. All apps gone. Am I really suppose to REDOWNLOAD EVERY APP I HAD? And then re-create all the folders I had setup. Way to go Apple. This crap just convinced me to NEVER buy another iPhone again, EVER. Updates that blow away your data, your apps, your setup, your configuration, your progress. Horribly wicked.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 8:17 PM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2011 6:33 AM in response to thespaciousmind

I feel your pain. I have 2 iPhone and 3 iPads with tons of apps and through painful trial and error here's what I figured out during the iOS5 update.

The upgrade process is extremely long for devices with many apps.

1. IMPORTANT: If you have many apps (50+), make sure your device is 100% charged prior to updating to iOS5. If it's not fully charged and your device battery dies during the restore process, your device will be restored as if it were wiped clean of all data and apps.
  2. DO NOT CONNECT MORE THAN ONE DEVICE (iPhone, iPad, iPod) to your Mac to upgrade at the same time.
  3. DO NOT DISRUPT the restore process or you'll wipe out your device of apps and data. Your device may appear to be doing nothing for 1+ hrs (just spinning) but it's actually still in restore mode.
  4. DO NOT UNPLUG your device during the restore process or you'll wipe out your device of apps and data.
  5. OPTIONAL: If you want added assurance for your data, BACKUP YOUR FOLDERS AND DATA from your iPhone, iPad, iPod using a utility tool like DiskAid (free for students... you just need an email address ending in .edu)

iOS update blows all apps away, all folders, all data, does NOT restore from last backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.