Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 3194 when trying to update to iOS5

Help please! I am trying to update my iPhone 4 to the newest iOS5 update. I have the latest version of iTunes 10.5, but I continue to receive the erro 3194 option. I have checked the time and date, removed my outdated security, temporarily disabled my firewall, restarted my computer three times, and even completely reset my entire phone!! I need someone's expert advice, without resorting to going to the store to get it fixed in person! Please help me!

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 1:09 PM

I fixed it for anyone also having this problem! My issue was that the host for my computer was not allowing the restore to happen. You can choose to fix this step by step, or you can just google "reset the hosts file back to default" and Microsoft will fix it for you.

If you have ever tried, or if someone has tried and using your computer, to jailbreak an Apple product it changes the host file on your computer. Unless this is fixed you will not be able to update your Apple product at all. (Explains why I had a problem with my last iPhone 4)

Hope this helps anyone!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2011 1:09 PM in response to kristenb783

I fixed it for anyone also having this problem! My issue was that the host for my computer was not allowing the restore to happen. You can choose to fix this step by step, or you can just google "reset the hosts file back to default" and Microsoft will fix it for you.

If you have ever tried, or if someone has tried and using your computer, to jailbreak an Apple product it changes the host file on your computer. Unless this is fixed you will not be able to update your Apple product at all. (Explains why I had a problem with my last iPhone 4)

Hope this helps anyone!

Error 3194 when trying to update to iOS5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.