Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Finder bug in 10.7.2 - overwriting file w/authenticated move fails and zeroes out target file too

I have found a new bug in the Finder for Lion 10.7.2

In 10.7 and 10.7.1, if I downloaded a new version of an application, and wanted to drag it to /Applications or /Applications/Utilities, here is what happened:

1) Try to drag to one of these protected directories, in order to copy it over the old version.

2) Get a dialog box saying "The item XXX could not be moved because "Utilities" couldn't be modified." This dialog would have two choices: "Authenticate" or "Cancel"

3) Click "Authenticate"

4) Get another dialog: "An older item named XXX already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the newer one you're moving?" Choices would be "Keep Both Files" "Stop" and "Replace"

5) On clicking "Replace", the OS would ask for an admin password.

6) You would give it, and then the OS would copy the new file. Done.

Now, in Lion 10.7.2's Finder, after steps 1-5, there is a new dialog:

"This operation couldn't be completed because some files had to be skipped. For each item, chose File > Get Info, make sure "Locked" is deselected, and then check the Sharing and Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again."

"OK is the only choice to exit this dialog.

AND

the target file is in fact overwritten with an empty file! So your folder now contains a nonfunctional app, while the new version can't be copied over it!

You can, in fact, go in and delete the zeroed-out app and drag the new copy into the folder. But authenticated overwriting appears dangerously broken.

(And what an error message! Sounds like someone from the Windows 2000 team thought that one up...")

I'm not a developer, but if any registered developers would care to replicate this and file it as a bug, I'd be very grateful.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 9:27 PM

10 replies

Feb 9, 2012 7:03 AM in response to thomas_r.

Yup. Thomas, have you tried replicating this in the other direction? In Terminal you can make a folder, chown it to root, get the permissions to the same as those of /Applications/Utilities, then as a normal user, try dragging something

into that folder? I have - this is replicable.

This is a real bug - worked ok until 10.7.2, then broke.

I have worked around this bug by changing the permissions on my Applications and Applications/Utilities folders so that my account has write permission there without authentication. But that not ideal from a security standpoint.

If any developer out there could fire a Radar report off on this, I'd be much obliged.

Feb 11, 2012 12:31 PM in response to mef613

I have the same problem, and after googling for the error message I am seeing other people suffering it too in various forums. Notably, even VMware has a Knowledge Base article which might be conflating other problems with this, since anyway the typical workaround seems to be trashing the original file and then copying the new one...

Wouldn't it be nice if for a change the Finder could do some authenticated copy without problems? In 10.6 it sometimes crashed, now can't even do it!

And @mef613 is quite right, googling for the error message started showing answers for different Windows versions... Also, first time I see a 7-line-long error message in OS X (my system is in spanish). ***!

New Finder bug in 10.7.2 - overwriting file w/authenticated move fails and zeroes out target file too

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.