Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Find my Mac" saying it requires Location Services to be enabled

Hi everyone,

I am facing a strange issue with iCloud's "Find my Mac" feature on my 10.7.2 MacBook.

The iCloud preferences panel shows the warning "Location services are disabled" below the "Find my Mac" checkbox. When I click on the button in regard, it takes me to the "Security & Confidentiality" preferences panel, where I can enable Location Services.

User uploaded file

However, whenever I do that, then go to another panel, and then go back to where the "Location Services" checkbox is, it is disabled again. It seems this preference is never saved!

User uploaded file --> (back and forth) --> User uploaded file

The MacBook however seems to be able to find my location in the "Date & Time" panel (in the "Time Zone" tab, it successfully show my city).

Oddly enough, I also have a late 2006 iMac on which everything is working fine (both Location Services, and iCloud's "Find my Mac").

Any idea on why I can't enable Location Services on this MacBook?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Romain

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), (Core 2 Duo MacBook, late 2008)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 2:42 AM

6 replies

Nov 21, 2011 8:04 AM in response to iRip

BTW, here is what my console logs when I'm trying to enable location:

authorizationhost: SFBuiltinEntitled: System Preferences.app is not entitled for system.preferences.security.remotepair

[0x0-0xeb0eb].com.apple.systempreferences: ERROR,Time,343583612.678,Function,"CLInternalSetLocationServicesEnabled",CLInte rnalSetLocationServicesEnabled failed

Thanks

Nov 22, 2011 10:31 AM in response to iRip

Hi,

I remember having the exact same message in my Console, too. I even tried to file a bug at Apple's bug tracking system, but the bug system itself failed (HTTP error 500) when I submitted my whole description! As I didn't have the good idea of making a copy of my lengthy text before submitting the page, it was lost forever. So I gave up.

Anyway the problem seemed to disappear by itself a few days later, I didn't know why at that time. But this could be the reason: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3423801

Did you try it? Please tell us if this solves your problem, too.

May 15, 2012 6:35 PM in response to RomainL

Hello,

This is the message I get after launching SystemPreferences>Location Services and then turning off and on the "Enable Location Service " box.

May 15 • 9:27:14.420 PM authorizationhost: SFBuiltinEntitled: System Preferences.app is not entitled for system.preferences.security.remotepair

May 15 • 9:27:14.452 PM authorizationhost: SFBuiltinEntitled: System Preferences.app is not entitled for system.preferences.security.remotepair

May 15 • 9:27:31.286 PM authorizationhost: SFBuiltinEntitled: System Preferences.app is not entitled for system.preferences.security.remotepair

May 15 • 9:27:35.829 PM [0x0-0x13013].com.apple.systempreferences: System Preferences(159,0x10abab000) malloc: *** auto malloc[159]: error: GC operation on unregistered thread. Thread registered implicitly. Break on auto_zone_thread_registration_error() to debug.

May 15 • 9:27:36.427 PM [0x0-0x13013].com.apple.systempreferences: ERROR,Time,358824456.427,Function,"CLInternalSetLocationServicesEnabled",CLInte rnalSetLocationServicesEnabled failed

Same problem as you it will not stay on.

I cannot use Find My Mac and the Set Time Automatically does not work also.

I do not have Xcode (iPhone simulator) installed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stan.

"Find my Mac" saying it requires Location Services to be enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.