Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Hi, the above message keeps popping up whenever i try to open an attachment from an email, I have sent it to another email account on a friends computer and it's fine, it also opens on my Iphone ok. was wondering if there is soomething wrong with my preview app?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 4:44 AM

Hi, I have the same problem with all my PDFs stored in my Gmail account. I am using Mail v5.2 and MacOS X 10.7.3. I am getting this error since I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8 replies

Apr 16, 2012 4:38 AM in response to shonafromboondall

I cannot find an answer to why Preview displays this error: It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

If the file is a PDF and it opens in Adobe reader why not in Preview?

I don't think in all my many years of using Macs I have encountered this. If I author a PDF in Acrobat or Acrobat Pro there is never an issue with opening it in Preview and often it is preferable.

I subscribe to an American photographic site which issues a download-able magazine - one is advised to use Adboe Reader. For all self-evident reasons I would prefer these PDFs to open in Preview but always get this error. The same company also issues an iPad format PDF which does open in Preview without the error.

The company concerned does not communicate well and so I have no hope of an answer from them directly, but would appreciate any comments here on what might be the problem with Preview in this instance.

Many thanks

Apr 16, 2012 2:07 PM in response to iandean

iandean wrote:

it's copyright material so cannot put a link here.

In that case, use Adobe Reader to check the document's properties; Preview's error message might also contain a clue. Note that, with respect to the PDF specification, Mac OS X's PDF support is usually a few versions behind Adobe's, so it's not necessarily surprising that Preview can't open a PDF which is opened by Adobe Reader.

Oct 17, 2015 10:28 AM in response to shonafromboondall

TRY THIS:

This happened to me too. When I share files, I got in the habit of clicking the icon that appears on the top of the window and draging it to my desktop. From there, I would right click and share via email. But it turns out every time I did that it would be un-openable from the recipient. Instead I've now started "exporting as" PDF and it works. So if you like to drag it to your desktop before sharing it, then make sure not to click and drag the icon.

Hope this helps

It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.