This worked and was exactly what the Google tech had me do when they called. Thanks for sharing.
I removed the Exchange account, followed the step below, then added the Exchange account back in.
From the above link, this is the portion I did:
Invalid Password Prompt. If you see an error message that reads "Invalid Password", it's likely that you'll need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Visit the appropriate link below and fill in your email address, password, and the letters in the CAPTCHA box:
General users and Google Apps customers: https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha
I don't think any of these solutions will actually work. I've been told numeous times now that this is another part of AT&T's attempts to salvage broadband. The City I work for has had to swich all of its accounts from AT&T to Verizon because of this. It's pretty useless to only be able to access your work email, contacts, calendar items and reminders while your AT work or on another wi-fi network, that's the entire point of MOBILE service.
If anybody discovers a solution for AT&T iPhones, please share!
I've been having the same problem:
If I have an Exhgane account and iCloud account enabled, my Exchange mail and calendar don't sync/come through.
Solution: I have found out than I can have my Exchange and iCloud email coming through--I just have to keep iCloud Contacts switched off.
It is quite annoying.
ok guys this is the problem - its to do with 2-step verification with gmail.
follow the directions here:
when you generate a code, THIS is what u use on your iDevice as your log in email password, NOT your usual password.....trust me, ive just done it with my new iPad 3 ;-)
IPad 2 with exchange,
I thought I read an email but the I couldn't find it again. I had it resent so I know the original was sent a 4:51 pm. I checking and there were no emails at that time, just a suspicious 51-minute gap (I get 100 email per day).
Then I tried a search for the keyword, "Trayvon, " and there it was, the missing 4:51 email with the original message. I cleared the search window and the email wet away. I repeated this on my iPhone with the same results.
Then I turned them both off and on...No change.
Then I turned the email account off and on,,,no change
Then I loaded OS 5.1, no change
I just doesn't work.
Possible solution - worked for me:
After spending hours playing around with 2 step verification:
I don't know what made me try but when I first registered a google account, the address was @googlemail.com, and then turned into @gmail.com. For some reason I thought I'd try setting up the exchange on my iPhone with the address listed as googlemail rather than gmail. It has worked fine on my iPhone and iPad, in conjunction with the random password generated by 'authorised applications and sites'.
This method is also working whilst I have another work exchange account synced with the same phone - I've read that people have had issues using 2 exchange accounts simultaneously.
I have the problem of Exchange and AppleID passwords occasionally not being recognized by the iPhone 4 running IOS5. In the case of the Exchange account it seems to occur when the password is changed by the user from another device. And it doesn't always happen, and it doesn't matter if there are multiple Exchange accounts on the phone.
The Solution I have found: REBOOT THE IPHONE. It works every time for both accounts.
To reboot, press and hold the top button and the button on the face until the screen presents a slide bar to turn off the device. Slide the bar. Once the phone is powered off, press and hold the top button until the apple icon appears on the phone.
Sadly, all I see in this thread and similar threads describing the same problem are a lot of temporary workarounds and no real solution. I've done extensive troubleshooting on this issue to isolate the problem and in our case the source of the problem was an account setting in Active Directory. But the actual problem is a bug in iOS Mail app, which has to be fixed.
I discovered that the few affected accounts in my organization had a limited "Logon hours" setting applied in their Active Directory accounts, which prevented logon during the night. Their devices, both Android and iDevices, wanted to check the mail even during the nights. Users who didn't have "Logon hours" set in their AD profiles were not affected by the problem described. Android devices were also not affected in the same way as iDevices (many users have both iOS and Android devices, so this was easy enough to confirm). Sure enough, Androids couldn't recieve new mail during these hours, but they didn't complain about "wrong password" or anything, and just nicely fetched the mail when the allowed logon hours came around again. However, and this is the big thing, iDevices were all thrown into the infinite "incorrect password" loop.
So this IS a bug in iOS, and it's been there since at least iOS 3.0, and it NEEDS to be fixed by Apple, and now we've found another confirmed triggering mechanism for this bug. My temporary workaround is to disable "Logon hours" limits for all users, but this is merely a trigger, so the bug in iOS itself needs to be fixed.
I am having exactly the same issue, I hope your AD idea works I changed my Windows/Exchange password yesterday and now am getting the "incorrect password" pop-up that makes my iPhone useless. Entering the correct password does nothing and I can't cancel the pop-up either.
I found out that by power-cycling the phone I could get out of the infinite loop and the phone even remembered my new password. Pretty annoying to say the least!