Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Office 2004 not supported anymore?

OS Lion should be the best system?! Why is my Office 2004 not supported anymore?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 7:53 AM

5 replies

Oct 16, 2011 8:26 AM in response to philippnoe

Office 2004 is actually a PowerPC (PPC) application, which means it was originally designed to run on the old Apple PowerPC processors before they switched to Intel in 2006. On Snow Leopard, PPC applications were able to use Rosetta, which was a piece of software that would enable older applications to run.

In Lion, Rosetta is now gone and you'll have to upgrade your version of Office.

Oct 16, 2011 12:25 PM in response to Tony T1

I don't need an Office update, I just still like to use my old software. Office 2004 was now shut down by apple, by making a new system software & not by microsoft. It would be great not just to inform about new features, they should inform also about the thkngs not workinv anymore. It should be the decision of the user to use an old system, it shouldn't be the decision of a provider of a sytem.

Oct 16, 2011 12:39 PM in response to philippnoe

I don't need an Office update,

If you're running OS X 10.7 you do.

I just still like to use my old software.

If you llke old software and don't need new features (MS Office has made a lot of improvements in 7 years), then I do not understand why you upgraded OS X.

Office 2004 was now shut down by apple

No, Apple no longer supports PowerPC Apps. There is nothing preventing M$ from releasing a free update to Office 2004 convering it to a Universal or Intel App.

they should inform also about the thkngs not workinv anymore.

Apple did, 6 years ago:

The Apple–Intel transition was the process of changing the CPU of Macintosh computers from PowerPC processors to Intel x86 processors. The transition became public knowledge at the 2005 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), when Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs made the announcement that the company would make a transition from the use of PowerPC microprocessors supplied by Freescale (formerly Motorola) and IBM in its Macintosh computers, to processors designed and manufactured by Intel, a chief supplier for most of Apple's competitors.

Why is my Office 2004 not supported anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.