Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAJOR problem with address auto-expanding on 10.7.2's Mail

On my Mac mini running 10.7.2, I have Address Book configured to use a CardDAV server, with two separate accounts, one for personal and one for business contacts. Mail.app is doing a REALLY WEIRD thing right now, which is also extremely damaging, in that if I have a message addressed to or from the account name on the CardDAV account, Mail.app is treating it as an address group and expands it automatically. It's doing this not only on the To: line, but the From: line as well.

So, let's say my email addresses are a@example.com and b@example.com. If I send an email from a@example.com, the From line is replaced with the entirety of a@example.com's address book (which both appears as spam AND provides my ENTIRE ADDRESS BOOK to all the recipients). If I send an email TO a@example.com, then the recipient list is replaced with the entirety of a@example.com's address book as well. Sending a test email from a@example.com to b@example.com ends up sending a@example.com's entire address book to everyone in b@example.com's address book!

This is absolutely terrible and it means I can't use Mail.app until this issue is fixed. I have no idea how many mails I've sent with it like this, either, because it's not showing up like this in my sent messages - just in the occasional bounces I've received from remote spam filters.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 9:37 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2011 9:46 AM in response to fluffy

Okay, the problem seems to be because my CardDAV address book's "displa name" was set to the same as my address book. Changing the display name fixed this behavior as a workaround. HOWEVER this is still a really, really BAD behavior for Mail.app to follow. Not everyone has control over their CardDAV setup, nor is the problem with that configuration obvious until it's too late.

MAJOR problem with address auto-expanding on 10.7.2's Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.