Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4 Extremely slow with "send to" option.

I am running Compressor 4.0.1 on an Intel Core 2 Duo (2.66GHz) iMac with 2GB RAM. Compressor isn't always slow, it actually usually takes up the appropriate amount of time for encoding. The problem is when I use the "send to compressor" function in FCP X, it takes forever to encode! I had a 2 minute SD clip that I wanted to export for DVD. I had the settings at 6.5mbps, 2 pass best, and it took 45 minutes to export!! Is there something I'm missing here, or did apple really screw up that bad? (My problem persisted on 4 & 4.0.1)

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 11:25 AM

1 reply

Jan 22, 2012 6:34 PM in response to Lord Immortallix

just saw this as I'm wading through this forum for a problem resolution...ok try these threads for some threads that may be useful.. try heres:

FCPX and COMPRESSOR utilise a great deal of memory. If you dont have the real memory then your system will page in and out and your system will be perform at glacial pace unless you have a MACBOOKAIR with a ram disk for example.

IF the above is the case..

1. either add more memory.. 16GB if thats possble these days or at least 8GB or
  2. use FCPX and duplicate the projects and trim the storyline (option+[ and option +]) to reduce the length..and share or "send to compressor.app V4. then quit FCPX after the compressor.app has received the job (where you can submit it). All that this will do is release the real memory frames that FCPX was using.
  3. make sure you DON'T have compressor.app / inspector | FRAME CONTROLS set on. This will grind the machine that you have. Just click on the grey box and turn it off. This is more to do AFTER you have submitted the transcode job... service time related and not related to FCPX nor memory.

Please post your results on this forum for others to see.

warwick

Hong Kong

Compressor 4 Extremely slow with "send to" option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.