9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2012 1:42 AM by t2f
Adrian_S Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

An extremely simple app made with Automator fails with Lion athough it works fine in Snow Leopard.

I just use the action "New folder" to create a folder with some fixed name in "Desktop"

 

When I test it in Automator is does what it should.

When I save it as an Application and double click it, it does nothing.

Should be easily reproducible.


MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • red_menace Level 6 Level 6 (14,885 points)

    An Automator application consisting of a workflow with a single New Folder action works just fine for me.

  • Adrian_S Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Thanks for testing.

     

    Tried again, after using onyx to rebuild LaunchServices as was suggested in another

    thread, and the result is the same. You did save as and application, I presume?

     

    The app does run, I see it in ActivityMonitor, and I have to kill it there to stop it.

    But it still does nothing. Tried many times.

  • Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,830 points)

    I saved this as an App, and it worked for me:

     

         Screen Shot 2011-10-16 at 3.55.52 PM.png

  • Adrian_S Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Since it worked for you, I decided to try again on another partition

    where I have a clean install of lion (the previous one was un upgrade of snow leopard).

     

    On the clean version of lion it worked indeed!

    But that does not really solve my problem, because I need it on the upgrade partition.

  • Adrian_S Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Thanks, got your answer just after replying to red_menace.

    Your test is indeed precisely what I want.

     

    So apparently it is installation dependent.

  • Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,830 points)

    Check the permissions on your Desktop Folder (⌘I), should be: (me): Read and Write, everyone: No Access.

    The App that you created with Automator should be: (me): Read and Write, staff: Read Only, everyone: Read Only

  • Adrian_S Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Thanks, all the permissions are as you say.

     

    But after login into my clean lion account, and back into

    the SL upgrade account, now it suddenly works.

     

    The upgrade was made on a clone of my MacBook Pro account, which

    is still running SL. I wonder if that could have something to do with it.

     

    I don't think it is solved forever, and I will report here if the problem comes back.

  • Adrian_S Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I believe that I have solved this.

     

    The problem did not go away by itself. After rebooting Automator apps either worked, or they did not work.

    This was true for all automator-made apps, not just the one described above. Nothing do to with Desktop

    or creating a folder there. Sometimes there was no problem after three successive reboots, then it came

    back again. All automator-made apps were blocked on my account, but not on a second user account.

     

    The origin of the problem is, apparently, that I used two Automator-made apps as a startup item on login.

    This has always worked fine under Snow Leopard, but it seems that lion cannot handle that. I suspect some

    kind of timing problem. The apps do seem to start a lot faster in lion, and perhaps they somehow get

    into each others way and then block anything else.

     

    Now I have combined the two apps into a single one, and the problem has not come back.

     

    In that sense I consider it solved, but I would still like to know what is really going on.

  • t2f Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    thanks - this really helped me. i was having the same intermittent problems and this has completely fixed this bug.