Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Application made with Automator doesn't work

An extremely simple app made with Automator fails with Lion athough it works fine in Snow Leopard.

I just use the action "New folder" to create a folder with some fixed name in "Desktop"

When I test it in Automator is does what it should.

When I save it as an Application and double click it, it does nothing.

Should be easily reproducible.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 12:00 PM

9 replies

Oct 16, 2011 1:24 PM in response to Tony T1

Thanks, all the permissions are as you say.

But after login into my clean lion account, and back into

the SL upgrade account, now it suddenly works.

The upgrade was made on a clone of my MacBook Pro account, which

is still running SL. I wonder if that could have something to do with it.

I don't think it is solved forever, and I will report here if the problem comes back.

Oct 24, 2011 2:03 PM in response to Adrian_S

I believe that I have solved this.

The problem did not go away by itself. After rebooting Automator apps either worked, or they did not work.

This was true for all automator-made apps, not just the one described above. Nothing do to with Desktop

or creating a folder there. Sometimes there was no problem after three successive reboots, then it came

back again. All automator-made apps were blocked on my account, but not on a second user account.

The origin of the problem is, apparently, that I used two Automator-made apps as a startup item on login.

This has always worked fine under Snow Leopard, but it seems that lion cannot handle that. I suspect some

kind of timing problem. The apps do seem to start a lot faster in lion, and perhaps they somehow get

into each others way and then block anything else.

Now I have combined the two apps into a single one, and the problem has not come back.

In that sense I consider it solved, but I would still like to know what is really going on.

Application made with Automator doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.