Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad College Apps for Notes

I've been at college for a few weeks now and already I have a huge folder full of notes and booklets and everything. I've decided to put it all onto my iPad because I already take that to college so it seems pointless carrying a big heavy file around when I can store it all on a small tablet. So far I've been taking pictures of the notes i already have with my iPhone (iPad camera isn't good enough quality) on DocScan, then emailing it to myself, importing it into either GoodReader or Save2PDF from Mail on my iPad and then using it from there.

It's seems too complicated to do it that way though. I was wondering if there is an app out there that will do everything I want. I want to be able to:

• Take pictures of my current notes and store them as PDF's
  • Be able to add Pages documents to the same file I keep the PDF's in.
  • Be able to add notes/annotations to PDF's (like in GoodReader)
  • Be able to merge PDF's (like in Save2PDF)
  • Keep everything in one Notebook/Folder and organise by name with a thumbnail of each document so it's easy to find what I'm looking for (Like in iBooks, but also be able to add Pages documents)
  • Sync the folder between my iPad, iPhone and Mac wirelessly

I'm also looking at buying a stylus and using my iPad as my notebook as well so I don't have to take picutres of each document, although I accept that for some documents I will have to do by hand, take pictures and import. Does anybody know of any good apps for note taking with a stylus? And would you recommend doing so?

So far I've looked at Evernote, DocScan, GoodReader, Save2PDF.

Thanks in advance for any help.

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 3:20 PM

have you considered Note Taker HD? A tad more expensive than some of the note apps out there, but it seems to me to be one of the best and one of the most 'Apple' in spirit (quite instinctual and simple to use even while being really feature-rich. There's a youtube video the author made demonstrating some of its main features. (Just search for Note Taker once you're in Youtube - author's name is Dan Bricklin, as I recall.)

Will you let us know which app you eventually find the best? Many of us are looking for the same thing - a good way of taking and keeping notes w/o having to keep jumping around between different programs or go into contortions within a program. Of course there's also Evernote...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2011 3:20 PM in response to jackallen95

have you considered Note Taker HD? A tad more expensive than some of the note apps out there, but it seems to me to be one of the best and one of the most 'Apple' in spirit (quite instinctual and simple to use even while being really feature-rich. There's a youtube video the author made demonstrating some of its main features. (Just search for Note Taker once you're in Youtube - author's name is Dan Bricklin, as I recall.)

Will you let us know which app you eventually find the best? Many of us are looking for the same thing - a good way of taking and keeping notes w/o having to keep jumping around between different programs or go into contortions within a program. Of course there's also Evernote...

Oct 17, 2011 12:45 PM in response to Anthony Bulloch

Thanks for your reply. After looking at the YouTube video I've decided to get Note Taker. It does pretty much everything I want. I will use it to create notes directly by typing or writing, and I can import PDF's and still use them. As for adding Pages documents I just email them to myself as PDF's and open them in Note Taker then "staple" to the correct document. The files I already have I will take a picture of, convert to PDF using Save2PDF and export to Note Taker. It all sounds a bit unorganised but it's the best way I have come across - there isn't an app out there that does everything I want. It should also become a lot easier when every app integrates the iCloud.

Also, can you recommend any stylus' that are best for Note Taker. I just bought a cheap £6 Exscpect one and it's terrible; adre there any better ones?

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it.

Apr 24, 2012 7:21 AM in response to jackallen95

I am a super obcesive person okay? Hahaha so i checked virtualy every note taker app available for the ipad...where note taker is good app...the fariley new notability is awesome, does the same that note taker plus a bunch more like integrating pics, text, handwriting, voice notes, web pages etc. In a much more friendlly user interface. Im using it for the same proupose and its doing great. Oh plus, you can set the app to automatically sync to idisk, dropbox, mail, export to pdf, etc. Hope i helped guys

iPad College Apps for Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.