Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I transfer ipad files to a new itunes library?

Hello, my itunes library was destroyed when my harddrive failed. I still have data on my ipad, but do not know how to transfer it to a new itunes library on my mac (snow leopard). I found several applications that claim to do just this and more for a fee, but I don't think that it is reasonable to pay for this simple function. Apparently it is a relatively simple proceedure on a PC.

Cheers,

Cormac

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 5:05 PM

2 replies

Oct 16, 2011 5:44 PM in response to cormacmacart

It is just as easy on a Mac if you know what to do. Authorize the computer first - launch iTunes and go to Store>Authorize this Computer from the iTunes menu.

1) Without connecting your iPad to your computer, start iTunes. Click on iTunes. Click on Preferences. Click on Devices. Check the box next to "Prevent your iPod etc. from automatically syncing." Click OK.

2) Now connect your iPad to your Mac and start iTunes.

3) When iTunes starts, right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select Transfer purchases etc.

4) After it finishes transferring all your apps to your Mac, right click on your iPad and select Backup your iPad.

5) After it finishes backing up your iPad, right click on your iPad and select Restore etc.

6) After it finishes restoring, left click on your iPad , then click on the Apps tab on top, and check the box next to Sync Apps, then click on Apply below.

If everything on your iPad looks good after the sync, go back and click on iTunes / Preferences / Devices and UN-check the box next to Prevent your iPod etc. The only other thing you may want to check is if your contacts, bookmarks, etc. are syncing correctly now. If not, go to the Info tab after connecting and make sure you indicate which features you want to sync with what sources.

You may need a third party app to transfer the music and pohtos back to the iTunes library. Remember that all purchased music, apps and TV shows can be downloaded again for free (in the U.S.)

Google for more "iPad to Mac transfer apps"

http://www.ipadtomactransfer.org/

how do I transfer ipad files to a new itunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.