Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud interference noise when using 4s with Aux jack for car stereo

I'm getting a very noticeable electronic noise when using my new AT&T 4s through the aux jack on my car stereo to play any music stored on it. It starts immediatly when I hit play on any of the mp3s and when I hit pause, the noise continues for 5 to 10 seconds with no music playing and then finally switches off. I get it no matter what the volume settings on the car stereo or iPhone 4s. The car stereo has a Aux input level control and tried lowering it and still get the same level of interference noise. Tried treble/bass controls as well. Noise is always there and isn't changed by any of those. Tried putting it in airplane mode to disable antenna to see if this was some kind of cellular related interference, still there. Same thing with wi-fi on and off.

Car is 2008 BMWx3.

Setup: iPhone connected via 3.5mm stereo cable to the aux connector in my car. I have a spare cable so tried it and getting the same loud noise. I ran this setup for years with no problems with my iPhone 3gs. I just did a side by side comparison with 3gs, a old ipod nano, and 4s while car parked with engine on or off. 3gs and ipod all you hear is music, no electronic noise. 4s as soon as you hit play, the noise kicks in.

This is going to drive me crazy because I easily use my iphone to listen to music at least 50% of anytime I'm driving. This noise is loud enough that it interfers with the music quality and makes AM radio sound good by comparison.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 5:46 PM

29 replies

Oct 17, 2011 3:29 PM in response to Aloha Spirit

Same problem here in my G37. My old 3GS worked fine. I really don't understand how a company like Apple - with all the advanced testing that goes on their "black lab" - misses things like this when they test their products. I suppose the antennagate situation could somehow have been overlooked, but can you honestly tell me that not one of their engineers didn't try the 4S in a car or hooked up to an external speaker before release?

Oct 17, 2011 6:58 PM in response to Aloha Spirit

Hi all,

I have spoken with the people at Applecare in depth about this issue. After running a couple unsuccessful tests at their request they suggested that it could be the audio connector kit firmware for my 08 Mini Cooper. I will be checking with the local Mini dealer in the morning to see if there are any updates. I will post what I find and let Apple know.

You all may want to do the same thing on your end just to see.

Oct 18, 2011 8:34 AM in response to Aloha Spirit

Hi there,

same thing here: iPhone 4S (64GB) with AUX connected to BMW Z4 Coupé with buzzing noise. Interesting, that when stopping the song, the noise disappears after approx. 5-8 seconds, but reappears as soon as I start playing it again.

I have already replaced my 4S in the Apple Store, but still the same problem with the new phone. New cable didn't change a thing! Oddly enough, I didn't face the problem when connecting to my home stereo via 3.5 mm cable. Only in my car I have this noise.

I think it has to do with built-in pre-amplifier. Some have recommended to buy the PocketDock Line Out Mini USB with real line-out functionality from SendStations.

Oct 18, 2011 1:57 PM in response to Aloha Spirit

I have the same problem. iPhone 4S using AUX jack in aftermarket Sony stereo. Never had a problem with the 3GS. Turning phone volume up and stereo down reduces the problem a little, but it's still unbearable. I hope we don't have to buy an additional accessory in order to fix this...

I noticed the same problem with connecting to some amplified speakers. The noise starts when the audio starts and goes away a little after pausing. It came back when adjusting the volume on the speakers then went away again.

Oct 20, 2011 2:42 AM in response to Aloha Spirit

There is another thread about this same issue in the Iphone/hardware communities.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3397942?start=15&tstart=0

I'm going to also report this to apple as feedback as some have said they are doing, but unless they start understanding this is an issue effecting many users, they may just ignore it, and I want some kind of resolution.

Loud interference noise when using 4s with Aux jack for car stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.