Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion?

I am considering upgrading but I don't know if I should or not. I have heard mixed reviews. One of my major concerns is that I heard if I upgrade my MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard to Lion, Microsoft Office 2011 will no longer work. Is this true or was it an issue that has been resolved? Also, are there any other precautions I should know before making my decision. Any other common programs that are not supported on Lion? Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 6:34 PM

M$ Office 2010 (and 2008) work (and always worked) in Lion

(Office 2004 is the PowerPC App)

Open Applications->Utilitites->System Profiler, Click on Applications in the left panel and sort by Kind. Only Intel and Universal Apps will run in Lion

6 replies

Oct 16, 2011 7:41 PM in response to dromai1

Also, are there any other precautions I should know before making my decision.

Make sure you're not running any third-party system modifications or "mission-critical" applications that are incompatible.

Any other common programs that are not supported on Lion?

Quicken 2007, Office 2004, and old versions of Photoshop are the ones most often complained about. They don't work because no PowerPC-only application works under Lion. You can tell easily whether you have any such applications by looking under Applications in System Profiler.

Third-party modifications, especially kernel extensions, should be considered problematic unless you have verified with the developer that they're OK.

Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.