Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

..."Cannot Allocate Memory" ???

When i try to connect to a web page I get the error, "Safari cannot open page. The error was: "The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory". What is this??

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 10:33 PM

if you are usin wi-fi, check your "http proxy" setting. may want to use "auto". it works for me.

10 replies

Nov 4, 2011 5:26 PM in response to trixiesmom

I see the same issue. In my case, it's on a wired network/ethernet connection.

"ping" and "host" report similar errors:

[Tims-MBP:~] tlynch% host google.com

/SourceCache/bind9/bind9-31.1/bind9/lib/isc/unix/socket.c:1705: internal_send: 192.168.0.1#53: Cannot allocate memory

/SourceCache/bind9/bind9-31.1/bind9/lib/isc/unix/socket.c:1705: internal_send: 192.168.0.1#53: Cannot allocate memory

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

[Tims-MBP:~] tlynch% ping 192.168.0.1

PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes

ping: sendto: Cannot allocate memory

ping: sendto: Cannot allocate memory

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

and also in system.log:

ov 4 16:21:13 Tims-MBP mDNSResponder[29]: ERROR: mDNSPlatformTCPConnect - connect failed: socket 52: Error 12 (Cannot allocate memory) length 16

Nov 4 16:21:15: --- last message repeated 6 times ---

My Mac was working fine, then after from waking from sleep it was in this state where are network connectivity failed. My system had plenty of free memory according to Activity Monitor.

The only way I found to correct the issue is to restart my Mac. Both quitting all apps individually and logging in and out of my user account did not help with the problem.

MBP 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM

Mac OS 10.6.8

Apr 7, 2016 1:46 PM in response to trixiesmom

I had this problem too. A web search turned up http://sflanders.net/2015/05/05/cannot-access-the-wifi-internet-on-mac-with-cann ot-allocate-memory/ but it's a bit technically complex. If you're comfortable with the command line, this shell script will work:

nslookup cnn.com | grep 'Cannot allocate memory' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then

sudo route delete -host $(netstat -rn | grep ^default | awk '{print $2}')

networksetup -setairportpower en0 off

networksetup -setairportpower en0 on

fi

..."Cannot Allocate Memory" ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.