Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No edit buttons for contacts since iOS5 update, anyone able to help?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 1:16 AM

Hi! Had the same problem, drove me crazy!

Short answer:

- go to Settings,

- then to iCloud, and

- make sure contacts is checked!

Should do the trick.

15 replies

Oct 17, 2011 10:21 AM in response to robio7

Same thing for missed, received or outgoing calls - there you can edit the contact, but without checking the Contacts in iCloud, just no banana in iPhone's contacts streight.... Agree with you, that should have been spotted in testing, save if the idea was not to nudge us in the direction of iCloud...

Glad to have been of help.

Nov 8, 2011 2:46 AM in response to jnigro

Hi, the only way I found to change the contact without turning on iCloud sync was in the sms message correspondence for that contact. If u send an SMS scroll to the top of the messages for the contact, there's an option at the top to edit the contact there.

I think u can also add a new contact there.

Nov 12, 2011 11:07 PM in response to jnigro

I have the same problem, but it's just because I simply don't want to use iCloud because I've heard too many bad things about it. I can't edit my contacts in any way, shape, or form and it's very frustrating. I don't even want to turn iCloud on, then off again. I just want to edit my contacts, plain and simple. I looked for that SMS option robio7 brought up but couldn't figure it out. I tried a full-on hard restore and that didn't do the trick.

Mar 5, 2012 1:43 AM in response to skins1inmd

My way definitly works.

Open any message you sent to someone.

Where it displays all the correspondence between you and that contact scroll up thought the messages until the 4 buttons appear. (call, FaceTime, contact, load earlier messages) click contact. Now u have an edit button for that contact. Similarly if it's a new message to a new contact u can add that contact to the address book

Mar 13, 2012 6:09 AM in response to @me

Amazing that Apple has actually made the iphone WORSE with their software upgrade. Sorry friend, but going to icloud doesn't restore all of my contacts. And then, of course, there is the small problem that I can no longer edit my contact list. My advice to anyone who has not upgraded to the new IOS is simple: don't.

In the future for me it is tzolong Apple.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.