Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 with iOS 5 BT Handsfree no sound

Since upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS 5, the Bluetooth connection to my car no longer works correctly. Pressing the button on the steering wheel opens Voice Control or answers an incoming call, but no sound flows. I charged up my old Jabra SP700 and it behaves the same way. I'm guessing that iOS 5 supports a newer BT standard - but what about backward compatibility?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2, BlueTooth

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 10:22 PM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2011 10:20 PM in response to Bruce from West Vancouver

I have since got both hands free devices to work correctly, but I am not entirely sure how ...

I did two things, so can't be sure which one fixed it. First I unpaired the devices from the iPhone and then shut down the phone and restarted it. Second, I paired the Jabra device and then played a video on the iPhone. The sound came through the Jabra. I stopped the video and answered a call - and the voice worked both ways through the Jabra. With the Jabra powered off, I paired the iPhone with my car audio system - and it worked. now I can pair the iPhone with either device and it works, which is good, because my car system is convenient but has a poor microphone, whereas the Jabra requires manual steps to turn it on etc., but the person on the other end of a call can hear me much clearer.

So, I am guessing that the upgrade to iOS 5 confused the hands free status and that was cleared either by the restart with no hands free device paired OR by pushing another audio stream to the Jabra (which can also handle stereo audio into a car radio via FM modulation). I won't be able to verify that until/unless the original problem appears again. If anyone else can try one approach or the other and then retest, I would be very interested in the results.

Oct 24, 2011 12:09 AM in response to craigfromdural

Thanks for this.

Had same issue! after my update from ios 4.3.5 to ios 5 bluetooth connectivity with my car could not be established anymore. The phone paired with my car, but the phone got disconnected continiously.

So after reading this post, I un-paired phone with car, re-booted and paired again. all seems to work fine now!!!

So thanks for above.

iPhone 4 with iOS 5 BT Handsfree no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.