Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can u sync a blackberry with icloud?

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 12:47 AM

30 replies

Oct 17, 2011 5:54 AM in response to Julian Wright

Julian Wright wrote:

No. iCloud is an Apple service for Apple devices only, in the same way that BBM is a Blackberry service for Blackberry devices only.

As a matter of fact iCloud's Mail and Calender can be used with any clients that can handle the servers . Apple uses standard protocols like IMAP and CALDAV for iCloud. You need only a Apple device initially to create an account. Even Linux would be suitable to deal with icloud syncing.

proprietary ( And thus Apple only ) is only "photostream" and "documents in the cloud" .

Oct 17, 2011 6:07 AM in response to Sjazbec

Yeah, I know all about the the standard protocols Apple uses, thanks.

Whereas Apple publishes the email settings for configuring iCloud email on any IMAP capable device, they do not publish the CalDAV and CardDAV settings for allowing Calendar and Contact syncing on non-Apple devices.

There is no easy way of acquiring this information from Apple without going digging into system files stored on your Mac or referring to third-party websites who've already done it. So, although technically possible, that doesn't mean it is intended to be possible, recommended or supported by Apple.

You won't find any support articles from Apple detailing how to configure contact and calendar syncing on non-Apple devices, so what I said still stands with one addition:

"iCloud is an Apple service intended for and supported on Apple devices only"

Nov 11, 2011 10:53 AM in response to RiichardAyers

If you were backing up your BB automatically when connected, you can use the Restore option on the Blackberry Desktop Software. Look for the icon at the top right of the window. Choose the backup file you want to use and (very important) select "Restore selected data:" instead of "Restore all data". Check "Address Book" and hit "Restore". Hope this helps!

Nov 15, 2011 3:17 PM in response to Apples

I had the same problem. For the contacts I opted for just synching wirelessly because I dont do it that often. For the calendar the solution is:

Create any calendar "on my mac" for example blackberry calendar

Open blackberry desktop software and you will see that your icloud calendars appear as read only.

For me that works perfectly. Any calendar I add on my blackberry shows up in the blackberry calendar on ical and then you can move it in icloud as you please.

:)

Dec 19, 2011 2:09 PM in response to Apples

Hi there, I have a solution for this. I have upgraded my macs, iPads and iPhones to iCloud, but I am getting so confused with the direction apple are going in, and the power they are now wielding, that I have bought a blackberry. I still wanted to keep my email, contacts and calendars in iCloud so my wife could continue to use the iPad and her iPhone, but needed to sync the contacts and calendars to my blackberry and vice versa. Took me a while, but got there in the end. Firstly, install an app called syncml pro on you iCloud enabled iPhone or iPad. That is the only app which will work for calendars and contacts. Then, go to website myfunambol.com, and create an account. Back in the syncml pro app, configure it using the settings from the following link https://help.forge.funambol.org/questions/answer2.html . This will then allow you to automatically sync any changes on your iOS device to the myfunambol server. Then, install the funambol app on your blackberry, any hey presto, you have 2 way sync! The beauty is that because iCloud works across all iOS devices, even if you change or add a contact or event on an iOS device that doesn't have the syncml app, iCloud sends your changes to the iOS device that does have it on, syncml picks it up, automatically syncs to myfunambol server, and then when you sync your blackberry, it picks it up. Works exactly the same way in reverse, ie a change on blackberry will change all your iOS devices. When the funambol app for ios supports calendars as well as contacts, you can do the whole sync from funambol without syncml.

Dec 19, 2011 9:54 PM in response to Roberto Torres

Thank you Roberto, I understand all we do then is momentarily diconnect the Icloud from the Mac, but this is fine, as I tried the Funambol solution and it got a little complicated.

Until now I had no choice but to export all the Contacts from the Address Book to Vcard format (all together as I have @4,000) then import it into my Gmail contacts (after haivng deleting the whole Gmail Contacts first, as otherwise I had duplicates), and then Sync the BB with the Gmail contacts. More than 1 hour to do all.

Now by just cancelling Contacts (this si all I use as I use the Ipad for calnedar, tasks, etc.) it should work according to you.

I am in the proces of trying it.

Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.