Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMESSAGE

Why is it when I send a message to another iphone that the colour is not blue as it should be? The imessage is turned on in settings

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 7:52 AM

13 replies

Oct 17, 2011 7:55 AM in response to pierrefromtzaneen

iMessage is only to people with iOS 5 running on an Apple iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. You can tell if a person is using iMessage by the text when you are typing a message. It will either say "Text Message" or "iMessage". Then you can also tell which way each thing was sent by the color it appears in: Blue is for iMessages, and Green is for Text Messages

Oct 17, 2011 8:06 AM in response to pierrefromtzaneen

pierrefromtzaneen wrote:

Why is it when I send a message to another iphone that the colour is not blue as it should be? The imessage is turned on in settings

iMessage uses email,addresses over wifi. To use it you must enter the contact's email address (or have it already entered in contacts). If you enter a cell phone number, it will simply text/sms in the normal way (and show up in green colour) and you will of course pay for the txt.

If you enter your contacts email address, and you are both on ios5 and both on wifi, then your message will show up in blue and you can be sure you're in iMessage. Your message will then be free.

Good luck

Max

Oct 17, 2011 8:10 AM in response to pierrefromtzaneen

You are getting some incorrect responses here about how iMessage can only receive messages via email addresses. This is INCORRECT. A person can set up where it is sent to via General>Messages>Receive at. If it is on a phone, they can add their email address AND phone number to receive messages at. If they are using a device such as an iPod touch or an iPad this option is not present.

Oct 17, 2011 11:09 PM in response to UCFKnightro

UCFKnightro wrote:

You are getting some incorrect responses here about how iMessage can only receive messages via email addresses. This is INCORRECT. A person can set up where it is sent to via General>Messages>Receive at. If it is on a phone, they can add their email address AND phone number to receive messages at. If they are using a device such as an iPod touch or an iPad this option is not present.

I don't think anyone is talking about the device that the message is received on or even the App. You will receive messages just as you did texts. The difference is how the thing works, ie over wifi, not 3G.

Oct 19, 2011 8:47 AM in response to UCFKnightro

I am only able to recieve iMessages on my phone with my email address. It doesn't give me an option to use my number. So in other people's iMessage inbox, it has my email address instead of my name. I also use a 3GS. Do you think it has something to do with that? It shouldn't, since it's a software update and not a hardware one.

Any ideas?

Oct 19, 2011 5:04 PM in response to Farido

Farido,

I had a similar problem with mine.

I found the best solution to fix all iMessage problems is to reset your iMessage stuff, similar to when FaceTime messes up (aka people can't FaceTime you or vice versa).

First, turn iMessage off in settings

Not go to the Reset area in Settings > General > Reset

Tap 'Reset Network Settings'

- Note, this reset will clear out saved WiFi networks that you connect to, FaceTime and iMessage settings.

The iPhone will reboot

Now firstly, connect to your WiFi

Now go back into settings for Messages and enable iMessage. This will re-activate your phone number and email address linked with your AppleID for use with iMessage.

I did the above myself and it solved all my problems.

IMESSAGE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.