Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final cut pro 7.0.3 crash with log and transfer on Mac OSX Lion 10.7

Hi people, this days i bought a Macbook Pro 15 with OSX Lion, installed the FCP 7.0.3 and downloaded the plug in from Sony microsite to log and transfer M2T material from the recordng unit of my Sony HVR-Z7 HDV. This is a simple procedure and i've never had a problem with my old MacBook pro OS 10.5.8

Now with Lion the log and transfer starts and maybe a couple of minutes before the FCP quits unexpectedly.

do anybody knows something about this?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 8:25 AM

8 replies

Oct 17, 2011 1:26 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael, i tryed your recomendation and made some tests but the problem seems to be something else. When i first transfer the M2T to my internal hard drive and then start the Log and Transfer on FCP the proces is welle done. But when i conect my Sony reccording unit by firewire it charsh in the middle of the proces. Then i tryed with a kingston USB multi slot directly with the compact flash memory card, just in case to discart that the problem was de Firewire port, but i had the same crash on FCP....

any other recomendarion?

Oct 17, 2011 1:52 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

So you transfer files 2 times on each proces? first to the hard drive, then on FCP?. The idea of this tecnology is to go faster, not to make the job twice. If you first transfer files to your hard drive and then log and transfer them you will be using the double of space, so then i supose that you erase the M2T and save just de .MOV files?

The thing is that with my old Macbook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo I used to make it in the way i told you, the easier, and faster way. Now i have my brand new Macbook pro i7 OSX Lion it doesn't work!!

Oct 17, 2011 2:17 PM in response to Ariel Span

Your camera records HDV to MiniDV tape or CF card.

If you used the tape method, connect via firewire and follow the instructionshere.

In this case, the tape is your archive and they are cheap enough that you don't re-use them.

If you recorded to the CF card, you would connect it via a USB reader. While you can Log and transfer directly from the card, it makes sense to use Disk Utility to create a Disk Image of the entire thing from it.

Why?

In a few minutes, you have an archivable copy and can reuse the card. Disk space has never been cheaper.

L&T from a Disk image will be faster.

Oct 17, 2011 2:36 PM in response to Nick Holmes

Sorry Nick but you didnt get my problem or maybe i expresed myself wrong. This is not about the minidv or making an archival copy from the CF. The thing is that i have a new mac and it is not working welle like the older one i have. I used to make log and transfer all the time directly from the card by usb or firewire, now i can't because the FCP 7.0.3 on a OSX lion 10.7 i7 crashes when log and transfer directly from the card. So i don't know if the problem is on the lion? on the FCP 7.0.3? what is not probably because i used the same version on my other mac..maybe something about incompatibility?

Oct 18, 2011 8:04 AM in response to Ariel Span

Standard Operating Procedure in the professional world is to create at least 1 backup of the camera files (I usually create at least 2). This backup is considerably smaller than the files after log and transfer. You can then delete your ingested media after the job is complete and restore your project if necessary in the futre. And being an old f*rt, even with copying the files before ingesting them into fcp, it's still way, way faster than capturing in real time which is what you had to do in almost every case with a tape based workflow. And as Nick said, disk space is really, really cheap.

That said, if you want to spend the time troubleshooting this problem, I'm happy to help. And it's never a bad idea to figure out what's going on in these cases as it may be symptomatic of a larger problem.

Repair permissions. Applications: Utilities: Disk Utility

Try creating a new account in system preferences: accounts. Log out and log in with the new account and see if that makes a difference.

Do you have at least 10% free space on all drives and are all drives formatted macosextended?

Are you running any other programs at the same time? Do you have any other peripherals connected at the same time besides the camera?

Oct 18, 2011 4:01 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Hi Michael, im sorry to tell you that any of this is solving the problem.... I repared permissions (there was a lot to repare) then i made a new account, i tryed the FCP with the new account and the first test was right with an 8GB compact flash but then i realized that that the free space of the new account was about 8GB to, so then i switch the scratch disk to another folder with more than 500 gb wich is the hole hard drive i had and then the log and transfer chrashed again. What do you think about this?

ofcourse i closed all the other programs, and no, im not having even the camera conected, just the external reccording unit wich is like a compact flash slot with firewire.

Its very impotant for me to solve this problem so thanks for your help! its not my only problem with this computer, the Ableton Live is giveing mi headaches to but thats maybe for another forum...

Final cut pro 7.0.3 crash with log and transfer on Mac OSX Lion 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.