Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Quark V8.5.1 compatible with OS Lion? Are there any other issues that anyone knows about?

I have a Mac running 10.6.8 and would like to upgrade to Mac OS Lion 10.7.2. Are there any compatibility issues with Quark 8.5.1, Adobe CS5 etc.?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 8:43 AM

7 replies

Oct 18, 2011 4:36 AM in response to leefromerith

Hi. I have exactly the same concerns and from what I can gather it should be ok although Quark's 'official' release that is compatible with Lion is v9. Version 8.5.1 should be ok but there are no guarantees, you have at least Time Machine to fall back on if it doesn't work out (that's if you trust TM) - I have yet to decide to take the plunge.

Dec 4, 2011 3:54 PM in response to leefromerith

I recently purchased an Imac with OS Lion 10.7.2. I am still running Quark Xpress 8.5.1. However, printing using the borderless setting and using my Canon MP970 no longer works correctly. Images about 4mm out of position and still showing a border. Canon said update to new drivers, did this and some improvement but still does not print in correct position. Also have problem with Illustrator CS3 when printing. When print command is issued Illustrator quits unexpectedly. Suspect that I will need to spend on the upgrades to Quark 9 and CS5.5 which will soon be compatible according to Adobe.

Mar 27, 2012 8:08 AM in response to leefromerith

Quark XPress (version 8.5.1)

ISSUE: tools in the tools panel are invisible

current operating system: 10.7.3

It is growing progressively hard to continue to use Quark XPress

I am finding that they are having a very difficult time keeping up with
updates and price points with Adobe and Apple.

I had to purchase this software called Markzware so that I could convert the Quark file to InDesign.
It was not cheap but it was no where near the cost to update Quark to version 9

I like Quark and have to use it for some clients, but the issues are starting to catch up with me now.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue... I WOULD LOVE TO FIND OUT!!!

Mar 27, 2012 8:54 AM in response to leefromerith

leefromerith wrote:

I have a Mac running 10.6.8 and would like to upgrade to Mac OS Lion 10.7.2. Are there any compatibility issues with Quark 8.5.1, Adobe CS5 etc.?

Quark 8.5.1 seems compatible with OS 10.7.2 but not, as sk1975 has found, 10.7.3, and while Quark has patched Quark 9 to work with Lion, it maintains that Quark 8 was never offered as compatible with Lion and so remains unpatched.I would hope that you have some good reason for upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion, e.g., some feature Lion has that Snow Leopard doesn't, since you give up some things in the process. For example, move to Lion and you lose Rosetta, which is what allows your old PPC-only programs to run. You may also lose some functionality in printer drivers for older printers.

Apr 4, 2012 5:25 AM in response to sk1975

The guys at Quark soved my issue...

"Found a workaround for the 10.7.3 and Quark 8.5 problem on an apple forum.Start Quark 8.5 or 8. Go to Preferences / Extension Manager and select the always box in that window.Quit and start Quark again and just hit okay when the Extension Manager window opens, and there they are! The palettes and toolbars are back."

Is Quark V8.5.1 compatible with OS Lion? Are there any other issues that anyone knows about?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.