Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded a word file from an inbox mail (the mail app) onto my iPad2, where is this file stored? How can I delete it if it takes up space in my iPad? Any ideas??

I downloaded a word file from an inbox mail (the mail app) onto my iPad, where is this file stored? How can I delete it if it takes up space in my iPad? Any ideas??

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 9:56 AM

Unless you downloaded it into another app then it won't be taking up space. If you just opened the attachment in the Mail app then it will remain attached to the email in the Mail until you delete the email (if you havn't already done so)

5 replies

Jan 26, 2013 4:56 PM in response to hanjiangxue

Did you ever figure out what happened?

I had the same experience as you did, but in my case it was a big fat pdf that Mail insisted I had to download before I could view it. As happened with you, I saw the file actually downloading, and after a time I was able to view the pdf. It's been my assumption that the pdf is still somewhere on my iPad, but I have no idea where, nor how to delete it if it is still there.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2013 2:27 PM in response to King_Penguin

OK, thanks. I'll have to adjust to a different file management paradigm. When I see the iPad downloading something — with a progress bar and all — I tend to think that it's being put somewhere. It's especially tempting to think that way when, if I then come back to that email later, that downloaded file opens up right away (no re-download needed). So I guess the file is immediately accessible only as long as its parent email hasn't been deleted. I can live with that.

I downloaded a word file from an inbox mail (the mail app) onto my iPad2, where is this file stored? How can I delete it if it takes up space in my iPad? Any ideas??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.