Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s: How do you switch from 3G to edge?

My iPhone 3Gs had a setting which allowed me to switch 3G on and off in areas with poor 3G recvtion or Vice versa.

It seems that this is no longer possible using IOS5. Is it still possible to use EDGE with the iPhone 4s and IOS5?

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 9:52 AM

3 replies

Oct 26, 2011 2:42 PM in response to leicaman

Hi,

I just had the online support on the phone to report the same issue.

IOS 5 disabled the previous feature which allowed us to manually switch to EDGE mode, claiming that the phone was now smart enough to pick appropriate network and datarate based on coverage.

The problem though is that the hand over to EDGE happens based on this (2010) famous "network bar" calculation algorithm which is very slow to respond in sudden network coverage changes (entering a building, driving cars ...)

The result is an increased number of dropped calls and a critical battery drop in poor coverage areas where the phone intends to stick to 3G, bleeding power,while EDGE would be 10x more reliable & battery efficient.

Please use the www.apple.com/feedback to report this problem and enable us to choose what's appropriate for our usage again.

This is an urgent need ! It makes iPhone 4S unusable in low 3G coverage zones !

iPhone 4s: How do you switch from 3G to edge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.