Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot find an option to turn on 3g on the iphone 4s?

I have no option in network on my new iphone 4S to turn on 3g?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 11:35 AM

The 4S does not have this option; it has been removed.

13 replies

Nov 26, 2011 2:13 PM in response to vannapha

so iphone 4s unlock version can support 3G network , but just it doesnt have the tunggle to turn it off? i read from some where saying that it's only support EDGE/GSM but not 3G. can you please verified.

It supports both. But you no longer have the option to turn off 3G and just run on EDGE. Apple decided to take this option away when they produced one phone for all carriers.

This is a problem for a lot of people who live in weak 3G areas because the phone constantly searches for 3G which I belive is another piece of the iOS 5.X battery problem.

Dec 22, 2011 1:27 PM in response to nikey33

well,

apparently when you turn data on it automatically works with the new 2 antennas system which instantly searches to the most accurate signal. when you are someplace which is a poor-signal type, then it goes back to the simple system which here in brazil shows the letter E on top of screen (cellular data).

whenever you are somewhere that has a 3g signal, it goes automatically 3g on.

hope it helped you!

Dec 30, 2011 6:27 AM in response to nikey33

I just bought 4S and surprised to know this option is not available to manually select a network (2g or 3G). I m unable to understand smartness behind this option (can someone explain reason behind this idea)!!!

I will later check 3gpp specifications to check if this is optional or mandatory for mobile fone manufacturers to give this option.

In short I am upset from this "creativity"!!!!

Mar 5, 2012 3:16 PM in response to hamad2012

"I just bought 4S and surprised to know this option is not available to manually select a network (2g or 3G). I m unable to understand smartness behind this option (can someone explain reason behind this idea)!!!

I will later check 3gpp specifications to check if this is optional or mandatory for mobile fone manufacturers to give this option.

In short I am upset from this "creativity"!!!!"

Read Thom_D's post above you:

"Apple decided to take this option away when they produced one phone for all carriers."

Mar 5, 2012 4:02 PM in response to hamad2012

Not to belabor this, but the iPhone 4S isn't the only phone to not have the option to manually force the phone to 2G. The Motorola Backflip and HTC Desire, for example, do not have a toggle to manually force 2G. The iPhone 4S, like it's predecessors, auto switches between networks based on signal strength. iOS version 5.1, which is is beta, has the toggle and will most likely make its' way to the public release when that happens.

I cannot find an option to turn on 3g on the iphone 4s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.