Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Average Maximum Cycle Count for Early 2008 MacBook (Black)

I have a black early 2008 MacBook that now in its fourth year, and I have noticed that battery health have started to diminish.

I am wondering what is the maximum battery cycle count for the early 2008 black MacBooks, and if its time to replace it? (I have 250 cycle count, with 78% health remaining)

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 12:55 PM

12 replies

Oct 19, 2011 4:37 AM in response to Kento Ito

Hi

I took my battery to the genius bar recently. It was similar age and very similar condition to yours.

It was replaced Free-of-charge under the campaign that Apple have for batteries that have distorted significantly (in my case the trackpad was behaving erratically)

The only difference was I had a very low cycle count (around 30 which I now know is bad, not good for the battery) but your own cycle count is below the point at which it could be considered a problem (min 300)

Well worth a try

Good luck

Max

Nov 30, 2012 4:26 PM in response to Kento Ito

My Early 2008 13 inch black Macbook battery cycled 830 times, which took 4 1/2 years, before needing to be replaced. I read the forums and decided to replace with aftermarket battery from OWC, as oppossed to replacing it with the Apple replacement.

The cycle count that I got was much higher than the 300 stated by Apple for that year and model. I did do a good job of not charging battery unless it was in the redzone. I've always heard that would help prolong battery life and it seems to work with my iphone also. My wife has a 2008 MacBook Pro purchased on the same day and had to replace battery twice in the period of time we have owned both. She also did not practice discretionary use of th charger and would plug it in to charge whenever near the charger.

Hopes that helps others.

Oct 22, 2013 10:00 PM in response to Kento Ito

I got my early 08 macbook (mb403) and it's its sixth year now. I have little over 800 cycle counts. This is the laptop and I used for my entire college and it was used quite a bit. I never intended for charging it at red zone but almost always, I needed the whole charge to fulfill my daily task( I took it with me all the time). Now it's plugged in all the time and hooked up with the TV as desktop and I'd love to put some money in it whenever needed and keep it running for couple more years.

Kento Ito wrote:

I have a black early 2008 MacBook that now in its fourth year, and I have noticed that battery health have started to diminish.

I am wondering what is the maximum battery cycle count for the early 2008 black MacBooks, and if its time to replace it? (I have 250 cycle count, with 78% health remaining)

Average Maximum Cycle Count for Early 2008 MacBook (Black)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.