Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2 Reboot Loop After iOS 5 upgrade.

OK, here's the deal... I upgraded to iOS 5 on my Apple TV 2 and now all it does is reboot. It never makes it to the menu, just starts up, shows busy icon and after a minute reboots again. Have tried restarting with menu + down and unplugging overnight and plugging back in. I do not have a Windows of Mac Machine (ie no iTunes). How can I resolve this issue so I can start enjoying my Apple TV 2 again?

AppleTV 2, iOS 5, Problem started with upgrade.

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 1:27 PM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2011 5:57 PM in response to tuxedomask29

I've seen alot of posts on google for the apple tv (first gen) of a diagnostics menu that could be accessed when a combination of keys on the remote control to restore to factory settings. Is there a way that this can be accessed on the apple tv (second gen) to restore so I can get back up and running? Just a thought while waiting for miracle cure. 😉 I keep thinking surely that the big guys at Apple thought about this exact situation happening. I mean, one of the big things about the AppleTV is that you don't have to own a computer to use it.

Oct 18, 2011 11:44 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for the answer but I had already read that when I researched before posting a question. I can buy the cable but I'm not going to buy an operating system just so I can install iTunes which is what the instructions you linked to said to do. I was looking for a solution either via remote control commands to the AppleTV device or a solution of plugging in the AppleTV to Ubuntu to cause the reboots to stop. I guess since I'm not getting any other replies, it's just not possible which makes for a bummed out Apple Customer. The only reason I bought the AppleTV over the Roku was because I already had an iPod Touch to connect with it and I thought they had better quality control. I guess I made the wrong choice. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Apple TV 2 Reboot Loop After iOS 5 upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.