Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where has the iPad pages 'tab' key gone to? (ios5)

It was on the brown top menu bar but now it's not.

iPad, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 2:02 PM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Jonathan216

I spent one hour and 15 minutes on the phone this morning on this issue. I finally got the third tier tech to realize that the latest update of pages wiped out the tab key function on the menu bar. It had been next to the paragraph alignment key. He said he would pass it on to the software engineers but no promise it would be fixed.

Very frustrating!

And very unapple

Dec 25, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Jonathan216

Not sure if anyone posted this, but to access the "tab" key takes four taps:

1. Tap and hold to bring up the context menu
  2. Tap the right arrow
  3. Tap "Insert"
  4. Tap "Tab"

Pretty easy, right?

I seriously don't know why text alignment would take priority over the tab key and the like on the top menu bar. Heck, I'm wondering why it's not on the virtual keyboard in the first place. The few workarounds to this is to create a specific paragraph style or use an external keyboard, but I don't want to be bothered with both. Might as well just use a laptop or a non-Apple tablet instead.

It's amazing that one change in functionality to the Pages iOS app that I now use my iPad a lot less than usual.

Mar 17, 2012 2:12 PM in response to J.A. Starcross

It looks like the latest iOS Pages app made it slightly easier to insert a tab, but the damage had already been done as I now use a plain text app to do any serious writing. Plus this new app allows me to add a dedicated tab key along with many others.

Anyway, the process to insert a tab for iOS Pages have been reduced to three taps instead of four:

1. Tap and hold to bring up the context menu
  2. Tap "Insert"
  3. Tap "Tab"

Where has the iPad pages 'tab' key gone to? (ios5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.