Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Sent" mailbox doesn't show attachments

Mail in "Sent" mailbox doesn't show attachments in the attachment column. I'm using 10.7.2 and Mail 5.1. Any help would be appreciated. Seeing the attachment icon in the column helps when I'm searching for a specific email.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 20" Apple Cinema Display (2007)

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 2:55 PM

Bug. I already filed a bug report, You can file at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

A workaround is to create a smart mailbox:

User uploaded file

7 replies

May 9, 2012 8:26 AM in response to Tony T1

Thanks for the tip. I'm using Apple Mail 5.2(1257) on a 15" MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.3. The smart mailbox worked, sort of. It found all message with attachments, but only messages written before I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. In other words, the "smart" mailbox could not find any message with an attachment that was written with the Lion version of Apple Mail. I don't see the paper clip icon in the attachment column, and neither does Mail. This is really goofy. It appears as if the Lion version of Apple Mail has a serious failing dealing with attachments. Anybody else have any ideas?

Michael

May 9, 2012 8:57 AM in response to eyoungaz

eyoungaz wrote:

Seeing the attachment icon in the column helps when I'm searching for a specific email.

It is a known bug in Mail, so far no fix has been officially issued. Original Bug ID# 7177567

Another work around, creating a rule for the Sent mailbox, this worked for me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3226400?answerId=18199533022#18199533022

Much welcomed relief to this frustrating issue.

May 9, 2012 9:14 AM in response to leroydouglas

Many thanks for this. It worked for me! As discussed in the thread, I had to create two separate rules, one for .mac, and one for .me. Being a hold-over from the iTools and .Mac era and now having two Mac addresses is a bit odd in itself. However, the two rules finally forced Apple Mail to properly display the icons. I never would have thought of this in a million years so do appreciate the advice. I'm now a month into the Lion experience. I wonder what other weird surprises lay in store?

As an aside, in the new Apple Mail "iPad" view, one can sort by attachments. Any idea what sort criteria is being used. Is it attachment creation date? Date sent? Or some alphabetical sort?

Thanks again

Michael

"Sent" mailbox doesn't show attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.