Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UK iPhone 4S Activation/Usage Abroad

Hi,

I immigrated from the UK to Hong Kong on Saturday 15th. I was lucky enough to have my 4S pre-order from the Apple UK Online Store arrive on the 14th at my doorstep.

Does anyone know why I can't activate certain SIM cards in my 4S?

I'm currently still on my O2 sim and roaming, but when I tried a local PCCW (it's equivilent of BT over here) sim card, it wouldn't activate. The shop owner then tried it in another new 4S (also from UK he said) and it activated fairly quickly eliminating the SIM to be the problem.

I can activate 3 Hong Kong SIM cards without issue. I'm going to try Smartone-Vodafone later today (who I plan to start a SIM only contract with anyway) when the store opens but any idea's before I go?

All networks here are GSM based and not CDMA.

Are UK iPhone 4Ss locked down to UK similarly-based carriers (i.e. the UK has a 3 network presence, hence it works in HK)?

Thanks in advance, any answer could solve my problem.

iPhone 4S-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 4:47 PM

4 replies

Nov 5, 2011 10:55 AM in response to ray-lee

Hey ray how are you doing with your 4s now? I got exactly the same problem with my newly UK purchased 4s to be used in China. The essential thing is is your 4s officially unlocked or locked to any British carrier? But i wonder since you said your 4s can be activated by 3 HK because 3 runs biz in both HK and UK then you phone is bought as unlocked, also as you said it's online pre-ordered i presume your one is unlock from apple website.

My situation is slightly different. I purchased 4s from 3UK and paid to unlocked them after i brought them back to China, buy calling 3UK CS and paid by credit card. Now i have confirmed with both 3UK and UK apple stores that my 4s is permenantly unlocked by apple, submitted and requested by my carrier 3UK.

The truth comes as ones i switch from the original 3UK sim to any other sim from Mainland China, the phone asks for re-activiate again... tried everything, dead end.

I've beending talked with one very friendly staff at apple store here in UK. The guess is either the phone need to at least be able to roam to it's original operator to get unlocked via itunes, or all the Chinese providers are not supported to ran 4s up. I dont believe the later one because if the phone is originally unlock from uk and been activated in the UK, it's for sure can be used with China Unicom or CMCC at 2G mode.

Still cant activate my 4s, once i insert other sim, asked for re-activate till i swith back the original UK3 SIM.

Any suggestion or help is appreciated!

Nov 5, 2011 11:04 PM in response to benjaminv

Hi,

I got my 4S from Apple so it's an official unlock to supposedly any network.

If you put another sim card in the phone, it will always need activating. it's really annoying.

I went to Apple Store in HK and asked at the Genius bars.

I was told that the 4S should only activate on approved networks. So in the UK, that's everyone. In HK, there's 3HK, Smartone and CSL. For China, you're stuck on using China Unicom only.

Something about activation software/servers within the network is required to processs your activation. Hence unofficial carriers are unable to activate.

If you've got a China Unicom SIM card though and it won't activate, I don't know what to suggest other than it may need to be on an iPhone tariff.

Nov 6, 2011 1:05 AM in response to ray-lee

Exactly, very annoying, always need activating for any other sim card!

I've tried China Unicom 186 sim before. the same asked for re-activation. By all means your suggestions are worthy to be tried again since from HK apple store genius bars and since HK is now ready to release 4S officially. Hopefully that's gonna have some linkage to China Unicom in Marnland too.

I am trying to obtain a working China Unicom contracted SIM from some friend to see how it goes. However, if possible would you mind to let me know if these other local providers like PCCW, Peoples' SIM card in HK works in your 4s or not now please? Or even have you tried a China Unicom sim yet? Many thanks!

UK iPhone 4S Activation/Usage Abroad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.