Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri will NOT create reminder using location

I'm having trouble creating a location based reminder. I've set location service on Siri. It knows my "home" and "work" locations based on my info.

1. Enable Siri.

2. I tell Siri to "set reminder"

3. Siri asks what I need to be reminded about, I say "Buy eggs"

4. Siri asks "when would you like me to remind you?". I say "When I leave home".

5. Siri repeats the reminder and asks if Siri should create the reminder.

6. I say yes.

7. Siri comes back with "I wasn't able to create your reminder. Sorry about that."

I've tried several times, no luck. It's not that Siri does not know the locations, it just will not create the reminder for some reason. Anyone had this issue and fixed it?

Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 5, iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 9:14 PM

17 replies

Oct 18, 2011 11:24 AM in response to RunBobiRun

I had the same issue. I do not use icloud. I heard some people say turn on icloud, and reminders will start working. I also heard that, if using exchange as your mail, to make sure that reminders is turned on in the exchange settings, which mine is. I was able to resolve the issue by going into the Reminders app, press the top left hand icon which will bring you into the Lists section. Click on Edit, and Select "Create New List...", and type in "Reminders" with a capital R, and select done. Now go into Siri and setup a reminder. Hope this helps.It worked for me.

Oct 18, 2011 9:33 PM in response to varment

Actually, turning on the reminders in iCloud did for me but it took a couple of tries, I think, I can;t remember. I turned it on but it did not worked then I turned it off. I started palying with it again and realized that it keep making either TASK or CALENDAR entry and I realized the reminder was off again in iCloud. I turned it on and to my surprise it's working now! Siri is actually creating a "Reminder" based on I leave or arrive home and whether I leave or arrive work. I do not want to mess with it anymore, so I can't be sure of the steps to replicate it. Bottom line turning it on in iCloud does the trick, it might take a couple of tries though. Now, I will try setting it for other locations.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2011 8:04 PM in response to RunBobiRun

I had the same issue and error message with Siri. After some tinkering, here is how I had to have a few settings in order to use "location" for Reminders.

ICloud-Reminders ON

Mail, Contacts, Calendars...Reminders...Default List... set to iCloud Reminders (Not Exchange Tasks nor Exchange Tasks)

You can verify that Siri can use Location by manually creating a Reminder in the Reminder App and then click on Remind Me... and you should see "At a Location" as well as "On a Day."

Based on this, it appears that Location Based Reminders can only be used/saved in the cloud in order for "it" to tell the phone where you are, and the trigger a reminder.

Oct 24, 2011 9:13 PM in response to RunBobiRun

to update my previous post on 10/18 @11:24am, It would set a reminder, but wouldn't do it location based. I also had to change a setting in exchange, by going to Settings/Mail,Contacts, Calendars/Exchange, and turn off reminders. It was trying to add the reminders to the exchange account, which doesn't work location based. With iCloud reminders turned on, now Siri can set reminders via location based. Hope this helps.

Nov 7, 2011 6:37 AM in response to RunBobiRun

Has anybody else had problems searching for things in the UK? Mine just says that it can only search USA companies or using American English... For example if I asked it for a number for a pizza place - it just says it is "unable to search UK companies - sorry" - Am I missing a simple setting or something?

Thanks - Adam

Siri will NOT create reminder using location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.