Thx Colin. Did that. The original address was labeled as 'Home' and the pin drop auto-set itself to 'Other', so I deleted the 'Home' and relabeled 'Other' to 'Home'.
Further, had a long talk with AppleCare yesterday. They swear that NO ONE has ever called in with this issue. When I explained the pin drop idea, he called it "absolute genius". No help frm them.
Getting totally fed up with this now. Doesn't matter how I enter my home address, Siri always complains "i don't know where your home is"
I've tried changing the format to remove the house name and just leaving the house number, tried finding our house on the maps app, dropping a pin and storing that to my contact card etc. Nothing seems to work, it just can't find us.
If I use the desktop google maps it finds me just fine with the exact same address but as it stands Siri on the phone is useless as one of the main reasons I upgraded was for the location reminders which just plain don't work.
After a lot of frustration, I'm thrilled to finally have this working - It works just as shown on the commercials, and it's VERY cool. Here's a compilation of info I learned... somethng here should get it working for almost everyone (I'll include the obvious things as well):
- Make sure 'Location Services' is turned ON (Settings -> Location Services)
- Make sure you have yourself set up as a Contact with your address, and (IMPORTANT...) NOT via Exchange Server. It's fine to use Exchange Server for all your contacts, but NOT for yourself. If this is your problem, go Contacts -> Groups -> All on My iPhone. Set your card up there (so it's actually on the iPhone and not just on Exchange. If you (like me) have yourself on Exchange and you cannot delete it (because that would remove you from your company data), then just create a second entry for yourself on iPhone and 'link' it to the other Exchange entry.
- Just to double check all is cool so far, look up your contact card, tap the address, and Maps should show and drop a pin on your house.
- Go Settings -> General -> Siri and make sure your contact card is set for 'My Info'.
- HERE'S A BIG ONE (this one should solve the problem for a lot of people...): Go Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Scroll all the way to the bottom, to 'Reminders'. For 'Sync' set 'All Reminders' and for 'Default List' set 'Reminders' (NOT 'TASKS'). Here's the reason..... 'Tasks' cannot be associated with a location, but 'Reminders' can! By changing the 'Default List', you are basically saying to not use 'Tasks' but to use 'Reminders' instead. Note: Reminders basically are the same as Tasks, except that reminders can also have a location associated.
- Go Settings -> iCloud and make sure that 'Reminders' are ON. (This is another big one!)
Now try a test. If it's working properly, you will see the Location icon (arrow looking thing) on top of the home screen once a location reminder has been set - this means the phone is monitoring your location in order to alert you once you reach the place you set the reminder for.
As far as the actual wording of instructions - it works for me when I say ANY of:
- remind me when i get home to take the steak from the freezer
- when i get home, remind me to take the steak from the freezer
- when I arrive at home, remind me to take the steak from the freezer
- when i leave home, remind me hook up my bluetooth
- when i leave my house, remind me to hook up the bluetooth
If you want to do a test, try saying "Reminder" and it will ask "Tell me what u want to be reminded about'. Say "Prepare dinner", and it will ask "When do you want me to remind you?". Say "when i get home". Note: Look at the screen - the text should be labeled as a REMINDER, not a TASK.
Hope this helps anyone...
figured it out. the list is in the reminders app and I only get the choice if I set up more then one list (which I did). That gave me the choice in the settings>mail, contacts, calenders screen at the bottom for a default screen. When I made the choice, things started to work better.
I need to use the phrase "Remind me" to create a task with either a date or location associated with it. If I use the word "Remember" to start the item, Siri creates a generic item without time or location associated with it.
and for 'Default List' set 'Reminders' (NOT 'TASKS')
I couldn't see where to set "Default List". it was not where I told Siri to sync "all reminders.
I think the problem is they way we write out our address in our Contact card. If Google maps doesn't recognize it the way we write it in the contact card, Siri can't find it.
What worked for me was:
I wrote my home address in a way that when I clicked on it, Google maps would place the pin on the correct spot on the map. Then I asked Siri what my home address was, and it showed it up from my contacts. I did the same for my work address.
Since, then, it's stopped saying "I don't know where your home is" etc.
I tried everything you guys said and Siri is still not reminding me when I get home. I say remind me to ".........." when i get home and she says she will remind me to"............" when I get home.The arrow in the top bar is even there after I say it. When I get home she never reminds me. what do I do?
Hi I have just figured it out, incase im late and you have all figured it out im sorry - I didnt read all the posts lol
I changed my Contact address details to
Street - The Number and Street!
City - BLANK
County - BLANK
Post Code - Postcode
So Basically it was 53 Lincoln Park
And I dont the same for my work address too and it works fine
Hope this helps if you havent already worked it out lol as I said I didnt read the other posts!
I was also suffering the same problem with my home address. Based in a previous rely my address already had United Kingdom in the country field but I edited the address and selected United Kingdom again. Only then did Siri know where I lived.
Go ahead and try it, even if your address contains United Kingdom, edit the contact and select United Kingdom again. It seems that selecting it the second time make an update somewhere that allows Siri to work.
I have had the same problem, but I have solved it,
I went to maps, clicked on the blue circle (current location)
clicked on the blue arrow next to it
It showed my address with a number range I.e. 1-5 road name
I then clicked add to existing contact
Added it to my contact and changed the number to my house number
Interestingly it set my county to England
Anyway it now works for me!