Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aliases

Hello all!

All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, it takes longer to open an alias of any folder because each time the system needs to "Resolve the alias", something that never happened before.

I have tried clicking on an alias and getting to show its original; this works fine but the next time I try opening the alias it needs to be resolved.

Any idea why this is happening, and what can be done to stop it from happening?
Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4GB DDR3-HP scanner, printer-WF HD

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 5:32 AM

8 replies

Oct 18, 2011 9:10 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

Do you have any removable drives connected? Are you sure the alias is not pointing to the removable drive's copy and is only pointing to the internal drive?

I do have removable drives, but this is happening whether the alias points to a folder on the internal or on one of the removable drives; it is always like that.

Thank you

Oct 18, 2011 1:05 PM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

Are you using tools such as MacKeeper, Onyx, Macaroni, AppleJack, or Snow Leopard Cache cleaner? These can mess up aliases and their associations. Remove all such tools, double checking with their developers where any crumbs might be left behind, and only use them for troubleshooting backed up systems.

I ocasionally use Onyx or Applejack and, as a matter of fact the issue started to happen after the last time I've used Applejack but it had never happened before, so I wonder why now.

I'll do as you suggest.

Thank you

Oct 19, 2011 6:16 AM in response to X423424X

Yes, the same problem occurs with the new alias.

BTW, I've also posted the issue at https://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/forums and one forum user said:

I just want to reinforce what Tomasov said. I had some nasty problems after thinking I could simply clone an old system to a new one. A combination of Applejack deleting the caches and re-applying the 10.6.8 combo updater - the really big one - fixed them very nicely.

So, I will try and reapply the 10.6.8 combo updater and see whether that fixes the problem.

I would have to look for other venues, otherwise.

Thank you

aliases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.