Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Global Acces List and iOS 5

Hi,

since I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 5, I feel bad with the management of the contacts of my corporate email (exchange email).

With iOS 4 I had my address book with my contacts synced with iTunes (I tried syncing with Google Sync, but I did not like that the fields were often different). When I wanted to access the global access list of my work corporate, it was enough for me to go to "Groups --- > Exchange Address List" and there was all the corporate directory, online (not synced).
Now this capability no longer exists, as I can't see the "Groups" button in the contact app. This happens even disabling iCloud and still using the synchronization with iTunes.

To activate the "Groups" button in the contact app, I need to enable the contact synchronization with corporate email. But I don't want to do this beacuse I don't want to mix my private contacts with the company ones.
One solution would be: activate an
exchangemailbox(hotmail or gmail for example) leaving blank the address book, and activate thesynchronizationwithiPhone ofthis mailbox. This will enable the button in the contacts and groups would have access also to other sections of the Exchange account configured on the phone. I hope I was clear.
Someone is having the same problems and some ideas for a better solution?

Thank you.

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 5:44 AM

19 replies

Oct 24, 2011 3:32 AM in response to vitucciog

I have just noticed the same issue this morning, when I desperatively tried to find a contact in my Exchange Global Address list, of course unsuccessfully.

This is the second "pearl" I have found in iOS5: after screwing up the Bluetooth connection, Apple "stole" me this useful Exchange Global Address List feature.

I start wondering if this iOS5 is a step forward or backward in its development...

I do hope they will give us it back, even if Apple does not seem to me so supportive...

Oct 25, 2011 11:02 AM in response to mukuayy

Hi Mukuayy,

I am not sure what you are advicing me...

On one hand, if I go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Email Account > Contacts and I turn the Contacts sync on the iPhone asks me "What would you like to do with existing local contacts on yuor iPhone? Keep on My iPhone / Delete / Cancel". Since it is not at all clear to me what it happens if I select the first option I have never tried... Is this the process you were referring to?

On the other hand, if I go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Contacts I just see three buttons "Sort Order / Display Order / My Info" and none of them brings me to any Exchange contacts Group.

Could you please give me more detailed indications about what to do?

Thanks!

Riccardo

Oct 25, 2011 11:24 AM in response to mukuayy

I said: "...To activate the "Groups" button in the contact app, I need to enable the contact synchronization with corporate email. But I don't want to do this beacuse I don't want to mix my private contacts with the company ones..."

So this is not the solution... it's just a compromise that I don't want to accept...

No one knows how to open a case with Apple???

Oct 25, 2011 10:42 PM in response to vitucciog

Vitucciog,

No updates from Apple on the previous posted case number above...... Here is the link where you have enter the device information etc. to start a case number.

https://expresslane.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.do?PRKEYS=PL133

This takes you directly to link to enter phone serial # etc. to start case #.

Below link is selection page for Express Lane to start a case #

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Oct 26, 2011 2:48 AM in response to jsczeb

Guys I found this to be an issue but if you just turn on contacts from Exchange then you get the groups option as you used to.

From there you get to view all contact together which include mixed cloud and exchange but you also get to just choose the cloud so that whenever you open up contacts you still just get to see your personal contacts and if you want anything else then you go to groups - it keeps all accounts separate if you want it to!

Essentially it's really no different to before!

Oct 26, 2011 10:14 AM in response to vitucciog

I am having another problem. My contacts will not synch in both directions. If I setup a new contact in MSEXCH via outlook it gets pushed to the iPhone. Reverse the process, setup a new contact on iPhone and it never makes it to Exchange.

I looked for a default contacts account setting as found in the iOS 5 documentation (see below) but the option does not exist. I do have contacts "on" under the exchange account. I know this worked in the past.

-----------------------------------------------------

Contacts accounts and settings

You can add Contacts accounts, and adjust the way contact names are sorted and displayed.

Add a Contacts account: Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, then tap Add Account.

To change Contacts settings, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and set these options:

Set how contacts are sorted

Tap Sort Order to sort by first or last name.

Set how contacts are displayed

Tap Display Order and choose to display by first or last name.

Import contacts from a SIM card

Tap Import SIM Contacts.

Set your My Info card

Tap My Info and select the contact card with your name and information from the list.

The My Info card is used by Siri and other apps. Use the related persons fields to define relationships you want to Siri to know, so you can say things like “call my sister.”

Set a default Contacts account

Tap Default Account, then select an account. New contacts you create without specifying another account are stored here.

Use iCloud to keep Contacts up to date on your iOS devices and computers

Go to Settings > iCloud, then turn on Contacts. See “iCloud” on page 17.

Chapter 24

Exchange Global Acces List and iOS 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.