Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with 2-way communication to Exchange

I've upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, and initially thought I had no trouble, but I'm finding that while my phone will receive mail, it will not receive the updates to the changes made in Outlook. In other words, the message comes into the Inbox on both Outlook and Mail.app, in Outlook I take an action with the message (mark it read, move it to another folder, delete it, etc) and in iOS4, the iPhone updated to match, however, in iOS5 nothing happens in Mail.app. It appears that they are acting like 2 seperate mailboxes instead of a common Exchange box (which they are). I have set the Exchange to only sync Mail and Calendars, no contacts or reminders.

So far I have tried:

Reboot the phone.

Deleting my iCloud account (it is still currently deleted).

Reboot the phone again

Remove and re-add the Exchange account.

Reboot the phone

Remove the Exchange account, reboot, then re-add the Exchange account.

Our company does not provide support for iPhones/Android but this worked normally under iOS4, which is why I'm more inclined to believe it is a new behavior introduced in iOS5.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 7:59 AM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2011 8:10 AM in response to Thomar

I am also experiencing this problem since install of ios5 on my iPhone 4G. I took similar troubleshooting process and still cannot send or receive email:

1. Removed exchange email account

2. Readded exchange email account (successful checkmarks were returned)

3. No email or any data returned

Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 18, 2011 11:50 AM in response to Thomar

Well, now everything is working normally again. I am suspecting that there was an Exchange issue on my corporate network now - there are a number of delayed messages arriving, which suggests that there was probably some queuing issues.

I have not yet enabled iCloud to see if that has any impact or not, but will tonight.

Trouble with 2-way communication to Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.