Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 5 increased "Other" storage from 2g to 8.2g on iPod Touch

When I upgraded my 32g iPod Touch 4th Generation to IOS 5 the amount of storage used listed in "Other(Yellow)" on my iPod went from just under 2g to 8.2g. When we downloaded IOS 5 to my husbands 32g iPhone 4 it barely changed. My iPod is now suddenly down to less than 3g of storage to spare and the amount of storage used in Other is almost as much as in my Music. Is this normal or is there something wrong with how it downloaded onto my iPod. It seems excessive. Thanks in advance for your help/input.

iPod touch, iOS 5, 4th Generation

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 8:58 AM

The problem was due to some files being corrupted during the update. To resolve, you need to restore the iPod. First from backup and if problem persists, restore to factory defaults/new iPod. Also, disable auto-syncing upon connecting the iPod (iTunes>Preferences>Devices) otherwise iTunes will backup the iod with the problem and the problm will be in that backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2011 8:58 AM in response to BarbStone

The problem was due to some files being corrupted during the update. To resolve, you need to restore the iPod. First from backup and if problem persists, restore to factory defaults/new iPod. Also, disable auto-syncing upon connecting the iPod (iTunes>Preferences>Devices) otherwise iTunes will backup the iod with the problem and the problm will be in that backup.

Oct 20, 2011 9:20 AM in response to rellimenerual

The restoring from backup will reinstall iOS 5 on the iPod. If the download of iOS is still on your computer then iTunes will only have to verify the download and not redownload it.

rellimenerual wrote:

Same problem here. After restoring from backup will I need to do the ios 5 update all over again? It took all night for it install.

Dec 30, 2011 9:06 PM in response to lllaass

If I am restoring to factory settings...and not from backup, am I still able to restore my previous music library? If so how?

I have 2.4gb of "other" showing on 4th gen touch and have restored from backup a couple of times. This initially lowers other space but when syncing again the other space increases. I am only using the touch for music at this time.

IOS 5 increased "Other" storage from 2g to 8.2g on iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.