Skip navigation

Transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster?

477198 Views 425 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2014 11:40 AM by arkling RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • mrbofus Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Irongabe wrote:

     

    You can transfer it to itunes got Rise of the Guardians and i just put the code in the redeem section of itunes and it worked

     

    No, you can't transfer UltraViolet to iTunes.  If you look at the packaging, it's probably this one ( http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Guardians-Two-Disc-Combo-UltraViolet/dp/B00947N6UG/ ).  If so, you purchased both an iTunes Digital Copy AND a UltraViolet copy.  So you didn't transfer anything, you just redeemed your iTunes Digital Copy. 

  • AliciaWag Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Howard, would you be kind enough to share your reply from Flixster, telling you how to download the movie to your iDevice? Thank you.

    -Alicia

  • TrevR73 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    There seems to be a lot of people complaining that UV, Flixter, or Microsoft (***??) are to blame for your UV movies not working on iTunes.  I would suggest that it is in fact Apple who are continuing to do their own thing and refuse to compromise, e.g. Flash....  Apple: pay the licensing fee and accept that there are options outside of the apple universe....

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,335 points)

    TrevR73 wrote:

     

    I would suggest that it is in fact Apple who are continuing to do their own thing and refuse to compromise, e.g. Flash....

    Why should Apple compromise?

    and you mean Flash for mobile, which was discontinued by Adobe?

    http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

     

    "We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations (chipset, browser, OS version, etc.) following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11.1 for Android and BlackBerry PlayBook."

     

     

    Apple: pay the licensing fee and accept that there are options outside of the apple universe....

    What licensing fee?

    To use Flixster/UV?

    Why aren't they paying the licensing fee to use iTunes?

  • TrevR73 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Chris CA wrote:

     

    TrevR73 wrote:

     

    I would suggest that it is in fact Apple who are continuing to do their own thing and refuse to compromise, e.g. Flash....

    Why should Apple compromise?

    and you mean Flash for mobile, which was discontinued by Adobe?

    http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

     

     

     

    "We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations (chipset, browser, OS version, etc.) following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11.1 for Android and BlackBerry PlayBook."

     

     

    Spoken like a true apple die hard!  I don't believe Apple ever supported flash.

     

     

     

     

     

    Apple: pay the licensing fee and accept that there are options outside of the apple universe....

    What licensing fee?

    To use Flixster/UV?

    Why aren't they paying the licensing fee to use iTunes?

     

    AND AGAIN!! Spoken like a true Apple die hard.  Most file formats or platforms have an "owner" that receives licensing fees (in one shape or another) when someone wants to use that format or platform.

     

    I would also assume that Apple have asked the same question "Why aren't they paying the licensing fee to use iTunes?" Mexican't stand off....

     

    Apple has a tendancy to CONTROL everything, they have the finest marketing team in the world, an extremely intuative OS/interface, and most things work because of the level of CONTROL they have over everything but for a lot of people this is far from enough.  Most of thier hardware is well behind the market.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,335 points)

    "I don't believe Apple ever supported flash."

    For the same reasons Adobe quit developing it for mobile. Too much of a resource & battery hog and filled with security risks.

  • Vinnie Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

    First its not UV unless UV is also Flixter.

     

    Flixter and iTunes have there own propriety security which is to prevent illegal copying.

     

    The DVD of Fast and Furious 6 UV's label states "Share with friends and family and watch ANYTIME, ANYWHERE" As it also does on the incert with the code.

     

    This is a false statement and a breach in trading standards as I cannot download and play the file through my AppleTV. I haven't found on the DVD case it stating anywhere except AppleTV.

     

    UV used to give you the choice of redeeming the code in either flixster or iTunes and is the studios which seem to be restricting this.

     

    This is the movie studios and nothing to do with Apple or UV or Flixter if a movie studio states a digital download and say you can play it anytime anywhere then they should give you the choice of either UV or iTunes or Amazon too redeem your download. You have then made the choice and locked yourself to one or other model.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,335 points)

    Vinnie wrote:

     

    UV used to give you the choice of redeeming the code in either flixster or iTunes and is the studios which seem to be restricting this.

    It was the studio that offered both on the DVD, not UV.

  • echopulse Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I cannot believe this thread is still going! All of the questions have been answered. UltraViolet is available on millions of devices, iTunes is only available on Apple devices. And UltraViolet is not just limited to Flixster, there is also Vudu, CinemaNow, TargetTicket, and MGO, just to name a few. Try out one of those if you don't like Flixster. I reccomend Vudu and TargetTicket.

  • David J. Downs Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    Theft is prevalent because people feel entitled and mistake "want" with "need".

     

    It is high time that people start taking responsbility for their actions instead of blaming others for thier bad behavior.  In this case, you have a CHOICE to buy iOS/Apple TV compatible OR gamble that the physical media that they CHOOSE will have a compatible code and if not, do the work to extract and convert themselves.

     

    Just because you make a bad CHOICE does not give you the "right" to steal.  Learning to live with the consequences of your choices is part of life.

     

    The courts have been very clear on this issue.  Once I own physical media, I am entited to use that media in any way.  I am entitled to rip that media into a digital format and view it on my computer or tablet (regardless of language in the EULA).  By extension, if I don't have the capability to rip the software, that doesn't mean I suddenly waive my right to view the media on a computer or tablet.  Downloading a digital copy of physical media that I personally own is neither unethical nor immoral, let alone a "bad choice."  It may or may not be legal, depending on who you ask and where you live.  If it is considered illegal in your area, that's only because Universal wants to sell you more than one copy and has the money necessary to buy votes in the legislature.

  • BigPhilipK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    You are wrong on so many counts. Here are just two problems. (U.S)

     

    1. You do not have the right to use the physical media in any way you want. You may not use it in a public performance whether free or not. You may offer to rent a DVD or Blu-Ray. However, by law you may not offer to rent a music CD, though a library is able to loan it for free.

     

    2. You may make backup personal copy of your physical media as long is it isn't encrypted. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 prevents you from making a copy if you have to decrypt it. Though this hasn't been tested in court, most scholars believe the law allows you to make copies of music CD's but prohibits copies of most DVD's and Blu-Ray discs. That is why Handbrake ripping software doesn't give you the tools to decrypt the DVD. Make MKV is in permanent beta to circumvent court cases.

  • David J. Downs Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    BigPhilipK wrote:

     

    You are wrong on so many counts. Here are just two problems. (U.S)

     

    I already responded to your arguments in my previous post:

     

    If it is considered illegal in your area, that's only because Universal wants to sell you more than one copy and has the money necessary to buy votes in the legislature.

     

    A EULA includes whatever fantasy the company who wrote it would like to include.  That does not make any provision enforceable under law.  Regardless of what Paramount would like (e.g., you can't show the movie in a public park for your family reunion), consumers have rights.

     

    No one is coming after you for possessing a digital copy of a DVD that you physically own.

  • BigPhilipK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    David J. Downs wrote:

     

    BigPhilipK wrote:

     

    You are wrong on so many counts. Here are just two problems. (U.S)

     

    I already responded to your arguments in my previous post:

     

     

    No one is coming after you for possessing a digital copy of a DVD that you physically own.

     

    It is a waste of time to argue with a person who has no knowledge of the law AND who believes that regardless what the law says it doesn't apply to them. Just because there is little chance of getting caught doesn't make it legal.

     

    You need to cite court cases that says you can do what you want with the physical media. Otherwise, your argument is invalid.

     

    I stated the law that claims you are wrong on ripping. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 prevents you from making a copy if you have to decrypt it. I also stated that this law has not had a court ruling to enforce this provision so it is not completely clear. However, unless you can cite a court case claiming otherwise, your argument is invalid.

     

    Neither your opinion nor mine has any value. Only the law and court cases matter.

  • mrbofus Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    echopulse wrote:


    UltraViolet is available on millions of devices, iTunes is only available on Apple devices.

     

    I think what you meant to say was, "UltraViolet is available on devices from many different companies, while iTunes digital copies are availble only on Apple devices."  As it is currently written, you're omitting that there are hundreds of millions of Apple devices out there.

  • mrbofus Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    David J. Downs wrote:

     

    The courts have been very clear on this issue.  Once I own physical media, I am entited to use that media in any way.  I am entitled to rip that media into a digital format and view it on my computer or tablet (regardless of language in the EULA).  By extension, if I don't have the capability to rip the software, that doesn't mean I suddenly waive my right to view the media on a computer or tablet.  Downloading a digital copy of physical media that I personally own is neither unethical nor immoral, let alone a "bad choice."  It may or may not be legal, depending on who you ask and where you live.  If it is considered illegal in your area, that's only because Universal wants to sell you more than one copy and has the money necessary to buy votes in the legislature.

     

    How have the courts been very clear?  As far as I know (I would love for some lawyers to chime in on this subject!), there have been no court decisions on the matter of digital copies being offered by the studios. 

     

    As for the physical media, as another poster has noted, you are not actually entitled to use that media in any way.

     

    Additionally, I think you are confusing legality with morality; in the same paragraph in which you start off with "The courts have been very clear on this issue", you bring up that "downloading a digital copy of physical media that I personally own is neither unethical nor immoral", which, unfortunately, is mostly irrelevant to the courts.  Just because you or I might find something ethical or moral does not mean everyone else does. 

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (5)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.