Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade problems with iphoto 9.2

I just got a new Macbook Pro about two months ago. Life was already installed, as was Lion, when I received my computer in the mail.

I am running I am running iPhoto 9.1.5. I wish to update to iPhoto 9.2, which includes photo streaming.

Here's the steps listed in the article, iPhoto '11: Update your iPhoto software http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2509

You can also check for updates manually.

To check for updates manually in the Mac App Store (if you purchased iPhoto in the Mac App Store, or if iPhoto and Mac OS X v10.7 Lion or later were preinstalled):

Open the Mac App Store and click Updates in the toolbar.

If an iPhoto update is available, it appears in the Mac App Store window.

I did this. It shows an iPhoto update is available. I cannot download it. An error message comes up saying I must sign in to the account I used to purchase iPhoto. I am signed in with the only Apple ID I have. I click the "Purchased" tab, and none of the iLife applications show up under purchased. The only things listed are Bubble Shootix, Alfred, and Twitter. It goes on to say....

To check for updates manually using Software Update (if you installed iPhoto from the iLife ’11 DVD, or if iPhoto and Mac OS X v10.6.8 Snow Leopard or earlier were preinstalled):

Choose Apple Menu > Software Update.

If an iPhoto update is available, it appears in the Software Update window.

If you purchased iPhoto in the Mac App Store, or if iPhoto was preinstalled on your computer along with Mac OS X v10.7 Lion or later, updates don’t appear in Software Update. Check for updates in the Mac App Store.

Choosing Apple Menu > Software Update does nothing. It says all software is up to date.

To check for updates manually in iPhoto:

Choose iPhoto > “Check for Updates.”

When I choose iPhoto, there is no option listed for "Check for Updates"

I was then told by a 4th Apple Suppoort Technician, "If the steps in the above article do not work, please try to download the update from here: iPhoto 9.2 http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1462

I did this 3 hours ago and once the file is extracted, it says "You cannot update iPhoto from this download. You must update from the app store." As I've mentioned, the app store will not let me update.

Any ideas on how I can update my iPhoto software?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:14 AM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2011 12:40 PM in response to liles13

I spoke with an Apple Senior Technician on this problem.

It turns out, when they install iLife to your computer with Lion before shipping it to you, they don't assign it to your Apple ID in the Mac store. Therefore, when you sign in with your ID in the App Store when you get your computer, the App Store recognizes that you have the software installed, but will not update it until you sign in with the ID that was used to to install it.

There are two ways to get around this.

1) Contact iTunes support and have them change the iLife license to coincide with your current Apple ID. Yes, this HAS to be done through "iTunes" support. Unfortunalety, iTunes support does not have a telephone number. You can only contact them via email. I tried this, and they said they couldn't help me. So I don't suggest this route.

2) Contact Apple and request you get a hard copy disk of iLife. When they pre-install iLife with Lion, they do not include iDVD or iWeb. Previously, I requested a hard copy of iLife so I could install iDVD and they shipped me a install disk at no extra charge. They should do so for you.

Then, uninstall the current versions of all iLife programs on your computer, then reinstall using the installation disk. Once installed, use "Software Update" in the Apple menu and the update will work.

Evidently, Applications installed with a disk are updated via Software Update. Applications installed via The App Store are updated via The App Store. You cannot update one with the other.

Hope this helps. It worked for me.

Upgrade problems with iphoto 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.