Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting a network location in the dock with profile manager

I was wondering how to put a network location in the users Dock using profile manager. I have a payload setup for the users Dock setup on my server and have added the network location under "Dock Items". All that shows on the users machine is a question mark. Clicking the question mark on the users machine does nothing. The location I want to add is folder of all of our network shares. This is what I have tried putting in the Dock Items - afp://10.0.0.8/Servers.

Anyone know of a solution?

Message was edited by: Bupsy

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:11 AM

3 replies

Oct 19, 2011 5:11 AM in response to Bupsy

Not sure, making my guess ok?

I actually get that done from Workgroup Manager -> Preferences in a "Managed Computer" environment, kerberized, and all the party on... BUT in your case:

First, mount the volume: configure it in Profile Manager -> User -> blabla -> MacOSX -> Boot or StartUP or something like that -> Network Volumes

there you'll have to configure your afp://10.0.0.8/Servers link.

Second, place a link in the dock: do it in Profile Manager -> User -> blabla -> MacOSX -> Dock -> Elements in Dock

there you'll have to configure your mount path, usually /Volumes/Servers

have luck and let me know if it works!

Oct 19, 2011 6:25 AM in response to tArre

I have had a few sporadic and unwanted results when trying to manage a users dock through Workgroup Managers Preferences pane. Specifically users docks being totally reset to the default dock and some docks not reflecting changes at all.

As for adding the mount as a login item, it doesn't seem to work. As soon as I push the configuration out to a user I am able to see it in their login items, however it shows up with a yield icon and application type is "unknown". Upon rebooting the machine the login item deletes itself (I actually see the entry dissapear when the user logs in)

Very strange but I'll keep poking at it.

Thank you for the help.

Oct 19, 2011 8:19 AM in response to Bupsy

weird!!

I had some problems when setting the Preferences to Machine or Machine Groups.

Now i'm playing with WorkGroupManager -> User -> Preferences and i've not any problem.

I have a kerberized environment so i had no problem mounting the server.

For the icon in the dock i used WGM, here i attach an screenshot of my com.apple.dock, where i have my server link.

User uploaded file

Putting a network location in the dock with profile manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.