Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is anyone familiar with importing gopro video files into Final Cut Pro x???

is anyone familiar with importing gopro video files?? i want to be able to use the 60fps to its fullest for some slow motion. the go pro website is unclear on how to move it in to Final Cut X from Quicktime after using MPEG streamclip

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:23 AM

6 replies

Oct 18, 2011 9:53 AM in response to jakeskate

Hi, Ive not tried it wit FCPX but in 7 it wont import at 60 because it records in a format that isnt PAL. there may be a setting in FCP to change that but in the UK all video is in PAL (i think). if you go into the GoPro menue you can change this, although this wont help with the footage youve got it will help you next time. what are you converting it to in streamclip?

Oct 18, 2011 10:13 AM in response to jakeskate

for FCPX you simply drag the original GoPro's h264.mp4 into the timeline.

If your timeline is set to 25/29.97 fps, select the imported clip and select RETIME/CONFORM SPEED it to that frame-rate.

if you prefer a conversion (usually a h264 hasn't to be in an editor's timeline), convert it to proRes (=FCPX native edit codec), keep the 60fps, set to native res (=on my cam 720), .....

User uploaded file

I'm doing that with my 60fps videos from my cheap Kodak Z1 ... adds wonderful, 'native' SlowMo to my 25fps soccer movies .-

Oct 19, 2011 2:50 AM in response to jakeskate

jakeskate wrote:

i'm just trying to get away from the slow jerky slow mothion clips....

'jerkyness' has many reasons. one is photography (yepp, in Hollywood, the 'cameraman' is a Director of Photography):

we are used to notice motion-blurr - watch any action-movie frame-by-frame: not a single 'sharp' picture. esp. when action takes place in foreground, a shutter-speed of >1/100 makes the single frame crystal sharp as a photo, but the 'jump' of content in the next frame, we'll notice as jerkyness.

so, one option is, to lower the shutter-speed on your video-cam to add 'natural' motion blurr - this is often limited, I like to use socalled neutral-grey filters.

other option is diff. blending modes in post.

I made you a demo:

http://youtu.be/xG0p4XxsR3s

focus on the ball in foreground and the players in background:

recorded with my cheapo 40€ Kodak Z1, 720/60p (doesn't allow any manual settings, plastic lense etc)

edited in FCPX, in a 25p timeline

in 'normal speed/ everything nice 'n clear

in conformed speed, slowmo: 60fps played back with 25

in 25% speed (conformed is 42%), you'll notice a slight 'stutter' = shutter speed too high, action too close

in the ReTime/Video Quality Menu you'll find three modes: normal, blend, optical flow; next is

in 25%/blended, motion of players, esp. in background feels smooth; ball in foreground rotates too fast to allow a 'natural' blurr, differences btw frame#1 and #2 are too big for a nice blend

in 25%/Optical flow, motion of players, esp. in background feels even smoother, but ball still rotates too fast for a good result (getting very obvious in 10% speed, notice the 'ghost' around the ball)

summary:

best result is 'real' slowmo: high fps recording, low fps playback

add natural motion-blurr by low shutter-speed

if action is 'far away' plus camera is (mostly) static. optical flow results smooth motion.

if action is close-up, you should use a device which allows manual shutter speed control PLUS blending/Optical flow.

is anyone familiar with importing gopro video files into Final Cut Pro x???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.