Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27-inch LED Display Flashing Black

I have seen multiple postings on screens flashing black with the mention of the 27-inch, but nothing strictly dedicated to the issue for this display. I also came across firmware updates for the 24-inch and Thunderbolt, but again, nothing for the 27-inch.

Issue:

Screen randomly goes black for a second or two and then comes back to life like nothing happened.

27-inch Cinema Display-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 11:43 AM

11 replies

Oct 19, 2011 1:37 PM in response to x0ner

I've got the same issue going on. 27" Thunderbolt display connected to a 27" iMac. I called Apple and they sent me a new display since it was within the 30 days. The new display is doing the exact same thing. I formatted my iMac and reloaded the OS (10.7.2) and ran all updates. Same issue. I suspect there is a firmware issue that needs to be addressed (similar to the 24" displays) but there are no updates that I can find at the moment.

Apr 24, 2012 9:12 AM in response to x0ner

Hi I just signed up to Apple Community. I bought a new Cinema display 2 weeks ago and within the week I have some of these issues too. Screen goes black for 1 or 2 seconds, but I also have a flickering screen (this happens more often than the going black.

This seems to be a common problem if I see more people mentioning the same...and this person here saying they sent him a new screen and same problem, makes you wonder...

May 1, 2012 7:55 PM in response to astir13

Just to add my experience, my 30" ACD started flashing on and off. I tried reading the LED flash pattern, but I really couldn't see a pattern. I powered down, pulled the ACD power cord from the power block and re-attached. When I re-booted, all was well. Just another thing to try before replacing the power block.

May 13, 2012 9:15 PM in response to x0ner

I have been dealing with this problem for many months...right from the start when I received my Thunderbolt Monitor in Sepember it was there. I have an early 2011 MBP 13" and TB 27". They replaced it in October, no fix, then they replaced it again in April, no fix, then they replaced the logic board...same. I have run every OSX version on it that I can and no fix yet. I have not got a theory as to where the problem is but the graphics would be my first guess. If one is going to post here, it would much more usefull if they said what mac they have and OSX version.

May 27, 2012 1:17 PM in response to laguna_b

Apple support told me to remove the 16GB of memory and replace the original 8GB of memory and test again. For 5 days I have been flash free. My bet is that we have a cure....why the problem?: The MBP 13" shares the memory with the processor, unlike the upper models which have thier own.This means there will be bus sharing arbitration and some more critical memory timings. This is me the engineer talking... Changes in the timings of the memories can occasionally cause a failure which could result in a temporary lock up, showing as a blink. What is not explained is why the computer monitor does not suffer this as well as the external but then I am not really privy to the architectural details. This is my best guess.

The DMMs I used were bargain DIMMS from Corsair. I am going to try the higher priced (presumably better spec) parts form Corsair as well as the Crucial DIMMs which feature higher density chips. The higher density means half the theoretical capacitance and drive on the bus lines and slightly differrent timing characteristics.

May 4, 2015 5:40 PM in response to x0ner

Looks like this problem has existed for about two years, as I post this (May 2015). I have a new MacPro (black can) and a 27" Thunderbolt display, and I am experiencing this under Yosemite (10.10.3). I had suspected the graphics card until I read this thread. It seems that many of us have different set-ups, though, which means different graphics cards.

Jul 13, 2015 7:22 AM in response to x0ner

Running OS X Yosemite

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

No Updates in the App Store

27" Thunderbolt Display.

My screen flashes black for a couple seconds randomly. I can never seem to pinpoint what causes it to happen.

Thoughts? This shouldn't be happening.

27-inch LED Display Flashing Black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.