Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one get a new me.com ID in Snow Leopard without IOS device for iChat?

I need to get a coworker on iChat and he has no mac.com or me.com address. He is on Snow Leopard and has no IOS devices to set up an iCloud account. How does one get one now?

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 11:35 AM

14 replies

Oct 18, 2011 1:57 PM in response to chazcron

I successfully faked my way into an icloud me.com address with my own iPad with IOS 5. After entering the screenname and password into iChat, I get the password failure that seems to be rampant on the iChat discussions page. Now what?

BTW, it is hard to fathom that Apple does not have a clear way for people who can't upgrade to Lion and don't have IOS devices to get a me.com account.

Oct 19, 2011 12:04 PM in response to chazcron

Hi,

Apple have an Agreement that the Apple IDs from @mac.com and @Me.com are Valid AIM Names

The Passwords need to be 16 characters or Less as this is the AIM Server Limit.

Defcom has linked you to the @mac.com registration page
These can still be created an as listed as "Free iChat Names" (you just have to remember the password thing)

NOTES.

It is however a way a creating another Apple ID
You have to List an Alternative email which is then effectively Hard Linked.

This means that the alternative email cannot be associated with an Existing Apple ID.

Also note that this is not an active email account

User uploaded file
8:04 PM Wednesday; October 19, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Oct 19, 2011 12:33 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Wish that link worked. FIlled it all out and when I clicked the final link, it merely reloads the page, with all the info intact, and the screenname highlighted. No text saying the name is taken, I tried putting a different string of random numbers after my chosen name, but it did the same thing. Maybe it is that "hard linked" thing mentioned in the notes. I would have expected it to say "you already have this email associated with an Apple ID" I still cant log into iChat with the me.com email I made yesterday.

Oct 19, 2011 12:46 PM in response to chazcron

Hi,

A New iCloud Account may need you to go here and Manage Account and Verify the emails used.

I used Defcom's link to check it went where I though it did (As I use Hyperlinks more often than not and don't look at the URL that much)

Listing again

@mac.com Registration Page

Plain Text/Full URL https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyInfo.woa/wa/createAppleId?createa cctype=lite&userid=dmac&localang=en_US

You can also get there by going to the iChat Preferences >Accounts and pressing the + Button to access the Add Accounts screen then Selecting @Mac.com and pressing the "Get an iChat Account" button.

I think you are right that the page does just return you to the "top" if the Name in already taken or the use Email is already in use with another Apple ID

User uploaded file
8:46 PM Wednesday; October 19, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 19, 2011 12:49 PM in response to chazcron

Can't think what is "wrong" with that one then.

If the password was over 16 characters you would not be able to use it with iChat/AIM.

I must admit it has been awhile and I am not sure what the page does after you Register.

You should at least get an Email to Confirm the account (Of course you have to have access to that email account)

User uploaded file
8:49 PM Wednesday; October 19, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 19, 2011 1:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

@me.com address is verified and alternate email address was added and verified. Still no luck with signing into iChat with it. Password is 8 characters with 1 number and 1 capital.

The link to get iChat address in iChat goes to a 404 broken link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4058

My guess is that the mac.com address adding page is nonfunctioning since they no longer are adding MobileMe accounts.

Oh and thanks for your continuing efforts, Ralph.

Oct 19, 2011 1:27 PM in response to chazcron

Hi,

Do you get there if you do the thing in item 1 here ?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515

User uploaded file
9:27 PM Wednesday; October 19, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 19, 2011 1:55 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hey Ralph, your last response hasn't posted here yet,

Hi,

Do you get there if you do the thing in item 1 here ?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515

Yes, I have reentered the correct information there many times. And I have been searching this iChat thread, so I already made sure i was not using SSL.

And by yes, I mean I tried, but without success.

How does one get a new me.com ID in Snow Leopard without IOS device for iChat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.