Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Destroyed iPad

So I accidentally left my iPad on top of my car while I was buckling my child in his car seat. It did fall off on the highway and it was run over. I found it on the side of the road in more than one piece. The cover that I purchased from the apple store was the simple black cover and it actually survived the fall and can be reused..I am suprised. But my heart is broken at my thougtlessness and I am finding that I really came to rely on it in my day to day life. Has anyone ever heard of apple replaceing items when they don't have a warranty on it? I have only had it since February, so it isn't a year old yet.User uploaded file

iPad

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 11:44 AM

Physical damage is not covered by the warranty.

Sometimes an Apple Genius may authorize a replacement for non-warranty issues, but it's up to the Genius and a case-by-case basis.

Given how extensive your damage is, I doubt they would replace it (since it can't likely be refurbished or salvaged for replacement parts).

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2011 11:44 AM in response to Mammacita

Physical damage is not covered by the warranty.

Sometimes an Apple Genius may authorize a replacement for non-warranty issues, but it's up to the Genius and a case-by-case basis.

Given how extensive your damage is, I doubt they would replace it (since it can't likely be refurbished or salvaged for replacement parts).

Oct 18, 2011 11:44 AM in response to Mammacita

Yes. I have heard of Apple replacing devices that were not covered under the warranty. It depends on who you talk to and how they they react to your story.

I know it was an accident and that you didn't mean to do it, but personally, I would be embarrassed to ask for a replacement after doing something that stupid, and I know you will not like this answer, but hey, that's the way that I am - just being honest.

I was raised in a different time - when you paid the price for your own careless actions and you learned a lesson from it. - I would NEVER have had the nerve to ask for something like that, but that's just the way that I am built.

Good luck!

Oct 20, 2011 12:54 PM in response to Mammacita

Mammacita-

While I agree with Demo, part of the price you pay for an Apple device covers the warranty. There are numerous reports of iPads being replaced after being dropped as TheDave413 mentioned. A friend took her iPad with a cracked screen to an Apple Store, expecting to pay for a repair. She was pleasantly surprised to get a free "one time only" replacement.

Do you still have the receipt? If you can show that you didn't just find it beside the road, your chances of a replacement are better. If they won't replace it for free, see if they will give you any credit towards a new one.

Fred

Jan 3, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Mammacita

I have three small kids and am usually carrying in LOADS of stuff and/or a kid every time I get in and out of my van. I would never have the gall to criticize someone for being preoccupied with buckling in their child over leaving an iPad on the roof. It's not "stupid," it's being a BUSY PARENT and a human one at that!

But that's just me, I'm just a really busy mother of three and iPad owner.

Jan 3, 2012 2:36 PM in response to mommacha

mommacha wrote:

I have three small kids and am usually carrying in LOADS of stuff and/or a kid every time I get in and out of my van. I would never have the gall to criticize someone for being preoccupied with buckling in their child over leaving an iPad on the roof. It's not "stupid," it's being a BUSY PARENT and a human one at that!

But that's just me, I'm just a really busy mother of three and iPad owner.

There's no question that the kids have priority but there is also no question that you bear the responsibility of giving them that priority. That responsibility includes the cost of replacing a damaged iPad.

Destroyed iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.