Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which EXPORT should I use to move photos to another iphoto library ?

Hi! I have 3 macs and one main one that has my 13000 photos in iphoto. I want to take the ones I EDITED in iphoto 9.2 in the imac running snowy which is just 375 photos, and export them onto a disc and sneaker move them to my other imac running 9.2 and snowy and import them so I have just the edited ones in a new location.I import from a canon powershot into iphoto in whatever way it does that through the card reader (I guess its RAW but I really don't know! ) , then edit in iphoto.

WHAT EXPORT FEATURE IS BEST TO USE. I tried them both and they both work but I want to know what the eports recommend A or B

A EXPORT AS CURRENT. When I tested it the date on the FILE shows the date I edited it in iphoto.

B export chosing "as jpeg" the edited photos I see in Iphoto. When I tested this option* the date on the file shows the date I exported it outside of the current iphoto.(*I chose export JPEG MAXIMUM and use filename.)

Notes about the test: WIth option B The size in MB was TWICE AS BIG as the OPTION A.

Option A file size was the SAME as in the edited iphoto.

(in both A and B the picture dimension was the SAME 2812 X 2112 When I chose the option B and then imported the file into iphoto, the keywords and description I originally used appeared. When I chose option A and then imported the file back into iphoto, there were no key words and no description.

When I imported my two test exports back into iphoto, to my poor little eyes I could not see ANY Difference so I was shocked by the file size difference.

What do you exports recommend. I don't care to keep track of the original - just my edited version!

Thanks.

Lisa

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 160 g ipod classic 2 ipod shuffle

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 12:45 PM

Which ever you want.

Current is just what is says: the photo in it's current state in Library. It will miss some metadata.

Exporting as Jpeg gives you more options on the size and you can write almost all the metadata to the file (The exception is Faces.)

Remember that whe you export, you're not exporting file, you're exporting your Photgraph and putting it into a container - that container is the file. The sie allows you to determine the size of the container. Ovbiously the larger the container, the more data it can contain.

However, the best way to move files between Libraries is to use iPhoto Library ManagerThis will get all the versions and all the metadata, including Faces.

Regards

TD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2011 12:45 PM in response to Lisa M

Which ever you want.

Current is just what is says: the photo in it's current state in Library. It will miss some metadata.

Exporting as Jpeg gives you more options on the size and you can write almost all the metadata to the file (The exception is Faces.)

Remember that whe you export, you're not exporting file, you're exporting your Photgraph and putting it into a container - that container is the file. The sie allows you to determine the size of the container. Ovbiously the larger the container, the more data it can contain.

However, the best way to move files between Libraries is to use iPhoto Library ManagerThis will get all the versions and all the metadata, including Faces.

Regards

TD

Oct 19, 2011 7:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

I am hoping I have picked my reply correctly - to Terence.

Terence I thank you for the link. However, I think I want to do something more simple than what iPhoto gives me and just capture the photo I edited and not the original one or other versions. I know what keywords I have used and can quickly add it to the import and I do not use faces.

Could you tell me what metadata I wouldl miss other than keywords if I do the iphoto JPEG export? If I pick SIZE = maximum, do I get the same SIZE as when I pick current?

Sorry to be a pest .

Lisa

Which EXPORT should I use to move photos to another iphoto library ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.