Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2011 HDMI audio in Windows 7 64 bit

Hello all,

I thought I would share lessons learned from my Boot Camp install on a Mac Mini.

My config: 2011 Mac Mini 2.3, Intel 3000HD video

. . upgrade to 8GB ram

Samsung 8000 series LED TV connected with HDMI

Memorex external BluRay writer(USB only power)

For Windows 7 install, I tried installing with the 64 bit DVD but this failed as documented elsewhere.

Instead, setup with USB drive, follow instructions available in bootcamp

After partitioning drive with boot camp and reboot, install Windows 7 with install wizard.

When asked whether to allow automatic updates say 'no', then complete installation and run boot camp tools for Windows.

Because the network driver gets installed prior to the Intel video driver, Windows will install the Windows Update Intel video driver which breaks HDMI audio.

When auto updates are off, the Intel video driver that is correct gets installed last. HDMI audio works with this driver.

Apple should install the Intel video driver first and it would solve this problem.

I now have full blown 3D BluRay support on the MacMini with TruHD audio, fantastic!

Mac mini, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 12:45 PM

9 replies

Dec 10, 2011 11:59 PM in response to nd73

Just for the record (and because I tried all sorts of different search terms before finding this thread), the problem I was having was the 5.1 audio in W7 via HDMI stopped working. Device Manager showed the High Definition Audio device would not start (code 10). After reinstalling the Intel Graphics driver as suggested, the audio device now shows up as "Intel(R) Dislay Audio" and 5.1 works fine.

Thanks Again to the OP.

Nick

Apr 8, 2012 7:57 AM in response to dklane012

I have a question for you.

Does your Intel HDMI Audio device appear in the Windows 7 "Playback Device"?
Because i have installed "Intel (HD) Display Audio" driver sucessfull...but..since i can't see a "Playback Device" i can't set it as Default Audio Device in order to use it when i connect my HDMI Cable.

---

I tried more than 3 or 4 clean installs...with Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

I used Original Windows 7 professional SP1 discs for this, and also tried to disable windows update from the begining and just install the "Boot Camp Drivers".

But still no solution..

I also went to intel forums to ask with no solution yet.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/28501

And also tried Windows 8 Developer preview and Consumer preview.

---

My device is: "Apple Macbook Air mid-2011" and i also have Intel HD 3000 Graphics.
HDMI/Displayport Audio is working fine in Lion.

Apr 8, 2012 11:58 AM in response to thesebastian

UPDATE:

I just discovered a good clue on my problem.

I always use my A/V Receiver to connect HDMI devices.

I tried connecting directly my Samsung TV to the Macbook and Intel (HD) Graphics Audio recognized the TV and a new "Playback Device" appeared in the Windows menu.

So the currently problem is that (just in Windows 7, since in OS X HDMI audio is working with DENON A/V Receiver):

Intel HD 3000 graphics is not detecting <Denon A/V Receiver> as an "HDMI audio-capable device"

My denon A/V receiver ( DENON AVR-1712 ) is sucessfull detected by my netbook with Intel G45 Express Graphics, but not working if i use Intel HD 3000 graphics on my MBA.

Jul 27, 2012 8:11 AM in response to dklane012

Thank you so much for posting this fix! I had problems with my Macbook Air 2011 with something called "High Definition Audio Device" not starting properly. Since regular audio was working just fine, I just ignored it and blamed it on a boot camp quirk. It wasn't until I started using my MBA hooked up to a display through thunderbolt that I noticed that audio was not transmitting through the HDMI/Thunderbolt Cable.

It was maddening because I thought there was something wrong with my cable. I tried reinstalling the audio drivers from the bootcamp WindowsSupport folder (Realtek, cirrus, sigmatel, etc) but none of them worked. I did as you suggested and reinstalled the Intel video drivers and it worked immediately. Now I have audio and video through a single cable. Thanks a bunch dude.

Mac Mini 2011 HDMI audio in Windows 7 64 bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.