Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terrible quality when playing MIDI files on Mac. How to solve it?

In the darkest corners of my hard drive, amidst the dark and malicious Mac OS X conspiracy...Um, well, not exactly. In my Documents folder, I found a MIDI sound named "PINBALL.mid". Fine. I played it on Quicktime 7, when terrible quality surrounded my ears. What an horror! Does anyone knows what app should I use? Or what I should do?

P.S.1: VLC player does not want to play the MIDI sound.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 1:07 PM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2011 12:29 PM in response to Jake74030

Rereading your first post you based the midi quality on playing something called PINBALL.mid. I'm guessing it's for a game. So why would you expect the quality of that one "song" to be very high in the first place?

FWIW, IMO, the built in midi quality has never been that good on apple machines. When I went through my "midi phase" many years ago, when Blue&White G3's were the current desktops, I actually used a high quality external midi player (Yamaha, but I don't recall the model at the moment) that played through the serial port. It was, IMO, high quality. For $400 it had better be! 😉

Aug 28, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Jake74030

Back in the day, early nineties, I use to collect a lot of MIDI songs on my MS-DOS/Win3.11 PC, a 66MHz Pentium 1. I played a lot of games and liked to remix MIDIs as well, but it was only beeps and bloops.

Then I installed the PC Version of "Final Fantasy VII", which included a free version of a Yamaha synthesizer app that improved the MIDI instrument quality. To my surprise, it improved everything the computer played with MIDI. I went back to my remixes and they sounded like orchestras instead of bleeps and bloops. I played "DooM" and "Space Quest IV" and was blown away by the music quality.

Now, opening the same MIDI files on my maxed-out 2014 iMac, I was hoping for quality the same or better than my old Pentium after it's update. I think the quality might actually be worse.

Like on my old PC, I'd think there's a way to update the instruments system-wide and still use the same apps (Quicktime/Garage Band) to play the files, but I haven't found a way to do so yet.

Terrible quality when playing MIDI files on Mac. How to solve it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.