Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will the Adobe Flash player become available on iPad / iPhone?

I know Apple wantto protect its own products like f.ex. QuickTime but it is apparent for all of us that the Adobe Flash technology has become a widely used and accepted standard.

Why can we never get an announcement from Apple when they expect to make f.ex. their iPad & iPhone compatible and let us use the Flash player?

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 2:27 PM

30 replies

Oct 18, 2011 2:54 PM in response to perbuch

A) Flash won't happen for iOS. Adobe couldn't get it working well, and Apple got tired of hassles and waiting. You can read Steve Jobs' piece "Thoughts On Flash" for more insight.

B) This issue has been done to death and back on these forums. Trying to keep this thread active will only serve to clutter up the boards. Especially since Apple does not monitor these boards.

Oct 18, 2011 3:01 PM in response to perbuch

The question can never be put too seldomly as it is still a bad secret why Apple "protect" their products from the "ugly" Adobe Flash player.

Some people in this forum claim that the cause is that Adobe has not managed to develop a satisfactory solution but that is not true.

On the other hand it seems that Apple is opening a door a litle. Now it is possible using the Adobe Flash Professional and Flash Builder to create application for the iOS products. The whole development process is supported and you do not need to use ONE SINGLE Apple tool.

Therefore I think it is a question of time until Apple accepts the Flash player on the iOS platforms.

As to the HTML 5 - this is no surprise to Adobe which have prepared for the step forward to HTML 5 for quite a while. The HTML 5 standard will set the stage for the future internet but it does not make Flash or iOS redundant.

This is about a fight on a very high business level and Apple will never tell all the reasons for their strategy as little as Adobe will.

History shows that there is only one loser in such a fight: the user.

Although we do not all agree with each other, let us keep a good tone in here.

Oct 18, 2011 3:22 PM in response to TheDave413

The content in the piece of Steve Job is from April 2010 and already outdated regarding its description of Flash. All iPad / iPhone applications developed using Adobe Flash Professional and Flash Builder - tools that are very intuitive - meet all new requirements, also regarding performance and interface.

I believe that the Flash Player for iOS has been developed but Apple controls all content - not a very open approach.

Did you know that Apple even censor the content, f.ex. news published in an application. I just tell you this because Apple emphasizes openess all the time. Apple should make the application and content market more open and not play a role of censorship.

Finally, no person - incl. Job - is a guru of mine and I am quite sure that the most interesting stuff is what we have not been told by Steve Job. Do not put him on a pedestal - he was also merely a business man.

Oct 18, 2011 4:04 PM in response to perbuch

His name was Steve Jobs!! If you are spitting then at least spell his name right!

He was not a guru or something but he was an excellent business man who manage to make this company what it is today. You decide to purchase a product under his conditions with the deal he offered to you. Why you are now complaining??

We are sutisfied with our Apple products and who is not, market is wide open and there is plenty of other solutions! Either it is USB connector, SD slot or Flash.

Oct 18, 2011 4:10 PM in response to perbuch

There are a variety of Flash Web-Enabled browsers available on the iOS AppStore ranging from $0.99 to $4.99. Some of them include:

• Photon Flash Browser
  • Skyfire Web Browser
  • Puffin Web Browser

These are all available for iOS 5 and are available for iPad and iPhone.

They feature:

• Ability to play flash games
  • Ability to view flash videos
  • Interact with flash content on some websties
  • And most of them are full browsers similar to Safari.

Oct 18, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Bananas1210

First of all, these "Flash Web-Enabled browsers" do not play flash. They send flash files to a central server on the web where they are translated into an iDevice compatible format. Very few "good" flash games play in these apps. Look them up at the App Store and read the comments - they are not particularly well endorsed.

Feb 7, 2012 4:04 PM in response to sherini

sherini wrote:

I appreciate your diplomacy and patience when replying to such short tempered and nasty comments from people who would rather stoke the fire than be helpful! THANK YOU for being kind. Such a novel idea that has gone to the waste side.

The only ones "stoking the fire" around here are folks that persist in complaining about something that doesn't exist, or ever will. You're just adding to it.

To quote Michael Morgan1 from a similar thread:

"You don't have a question, you aren't providing an answer, and if you want to share your opinions then tweet them or put them up on your wall."

This is a user-to-user forum to help people solve real problems, it is not a blog to voice opinions.

When will the Adobe Flash player become available on iPad / iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.