Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Successful iOS 5 Updates?

I just wanted to get an idea of how many users are not having any updating issues. I am waiting to update my iphone 4 to iOS 5, and I want to be sure before I take the plunge.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 6:35 PM

19 replies

Oct 18, 2011 6:50 PM in response to TechFrenzy

There is no definitive method to determine if any particular iDevice will have a problem updating--there are just too many variables--and however any particular user answers your question isn't likely to change that. You roll the dice and take your chances.

For myself I've updated 6 iDevices without a problem but I do know that many (just read the forums) did have and are continuing to have problems with the update to iOS5.

I use an iMac to update my iDevices. I always make sure I have the latest version of iTunes. I always make sure that my iDevice have no actively executing apps. I always repair permissions and then reboot just before the update. Have any of these been necessary or even helped--I can't say--but I can say that by using this technique I have moved iDevices from 2.x to 3.x to 4.x to 5.x and never had a problem with the update.

Oct 18, 2011 6:44 PM in response to TechFrenzy

I have done two of my iPhones 3Gs (on Windows 7) and 4 (on Mac OS X 7) without any problems. What I do before any updates is to prepare my computer by making sure I have the last version of iTunes installed. Then I restart the computer, I prepare my iPhone by closing all of my open apps, double click the home button to open the multi-task window and then hold you finger on a app until it starts to wiggle and a red minus sign shows up in the left top corner tap the minus sign on all open apps to close them. Then I restart the iPhone by holding down the on/off and the home buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo. Then I make sync the phone one more time. After the sync I start the upgrade process.

Oct 18, 2011 6:59 PM in response to TechFrenzy

No luck here. I can't get my phone to update to the new OS. Our Apple TV (2nd gen) also needs reset. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Out of three phones, two updated, mine didn't. No help from Apple on the update either. Mine sits at the backup phase and never seems to go anywhere.

I have a 4g phone, my husband's is 4g, and my dad's is 3gs. I'm on Win7, husband is on a mac, and dad's is on a windows system. I think win7, but 32-bit.

Oct 19, 2011 5:28 AM in response to tonefox

Duh! Yeah, we have the 4. Have had all the phones, so I'm getting them confused now. I didn't expect the backup to take that long, and this is the first time I've been told it would. I backed it up last Saturday and it took no time, so I expected the same this go around. I've seen some people say they left theirs on all night and the backup didn't work. I'll give it a try, but my phone is rarely able to be connected to my laptop for a full 2 hours or more, even at night. That's pretty much why I have an iPhone...to be mobile! Thanks for the tip!

Oct 19, 2011 7:38 AM in response to GJBPA

Because waiting a few days or weeks allows Apple to work through the bugs. They released a new

update a few days ago for the 2nd gen Apple TV, for example. They quickly pulled it once they realized that it reset a few of the boxes, like mine, and put out a new release. Unfortunately I didn't get the memo about the bad release and now I can't get the box to sync to iTunes like they instructed to reset it. I'm left with a nice Apple paperweight.

Oct 19, 2011 11:01 AM in response to TechFrenzy

It may help to do some simple things, like power cycling the phone before connecting it to iTunes for the update. Of course you must have installed iTunes 10.5 first. I had no trouble with updating my 3GS to IOS5. The only thing I didn't like was the way it scrambled the apps on the screens. I spend about 20 minutes putting the screens back the way I wanted them I suspect that the added icons for the new functions caused this problem. Arranging things on the iPhone screen has always been a weak point, in my opinion. Other than that, and the setup, and figuring what to turn off to maximize battery life on the 3GS, problems were minimal.

Successful iOS 5 Updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.