Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with using Google 2 step verification and iCal

Hi,

Does anyone here use Google 2 step verification? If so, how have you gotten it to work with iCal? I am doing the steps just as Google says to do them (generate an application-specific password and enter that password instead of my regular Google password) but I keep getting an error message. I was able to set up Gmail in the Mail app just fine with the Google 2 step verification application-specific password. I am not sure why iCal is giving me problems. I have searched Google and can't really find a good answer or a step by step solution. I am running Lion. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

Leann

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:48 PM

I am also having this problem. Kind of annoying. On my iPod, the app-specific password works fine, when I generate another one for use with iCal, iCal says it's invalid.

15 replies

Nov 29, 2011 9:14 PM in response to cheesesilk

Hey! Thanks for replying. Your solution is a good one, and I also found another solution a few days ago. I actually totally forgot about this thread until I logged in and saw that you had replied to it! Here is the other solution I found:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=99358#ical

Hopefully if someone else has the same problem, they can do a Google search for it and find this thread!

Thanks again for replying! 🙂

Aug 5, 2012 2:04 PM in response to cheesesilk

Cheesesilk, thanks so much man that did the trick for me.

Steps for anyone else stuck:

1. Go to Apple icon (top left of screen) > System Preferences > Mail, Contact & Calendars

2. Delete your current gmail account by selecting it and pressing the "-" button

3. Add a new Gmail Account by pressing the plus and selecting Gmail

4. Type in your account details but when you get to the password stage, generate a new application specific password from: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens#accesscodes

5. Type that new password in (you can copy paste it)

6. Hit Setup and it shoud be now syncing up your calendar and mail account again! 🙂

Aug 10, 2012 5:10 PM in response to Braaco

One note: I have many calendars in my google calendar. In order to make all those calendars sync as well, I had to follow the above steps plus:

1. launch iCal
  2. open Settings -> Account
  3. click the appropriate Google CalDAV account
  4. select the delegation tab
  5. enable all the appropriate calendars that you want sync'd with iCal
  6. close Settings
  7. confirm calendars now show up in Calendar List
  8. Refresh All, this should cause all the added calendars to fail, one will even pop-up a password dialog box.
  9. Paste in the generated google password from the initial steps and click OK
  10. Click each of the error triangles in turn, pasting in the password into the dialog box that pops up and click OK
  11. refresh all and cofirn they all sync now

Aug 15, 2012 7:28 AM in response to Leann O.

The above solutions work well for me for a period of time. Mail has never been the issue, but Calendar is still the culprit. After a day or so, I am again prompted for a password in Calendar. As such, even when going through the steps it appears that the password doesn't 'stick.' I'm resorted generating a new password, pasting it in and then it works for a day or two.

UPDATE: I'm running 10.8 Mountain Lion

Apr 24, 2013 8:15 AM in response to Leann O.

The best way to sync your iCal with your iPhone isn't to setup a Gmail account anymore its to do this:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> Add Account...> Other> Add CalDAV Account>

Now type the following:

Server: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/you@gmail.com/user/ (replace the you with your username).

Note: if you are trying to sync a secondary calendar, use this URL

Server: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[string of numbers and letters]@group.calendar.google.com/user/

username: YOUREMAIL@gmail.com

Then generate a new password using this link and use the generated password as your password.

Problem with using Google 2 step verification and iCal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.