Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Multitasking in iOS 5

I know that you couldn't disable multitasking in iOS 4, but I was just wondering, has Apple had made any changes allowing us to disable it in iOS 5?

It's just one of those annoying things that would be nice to get rid of...

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 8:20 PM

Multi-tasking is part of the internal OS functions. It cannot be disabled.

7 replies

Nov 19, 2011 9:34 AM in response to Noble Seven

Unfortunately it isn't possible. Apple likes to implment things that are not really what the users want. For starters it isn't multitasking it is backgrounding, nothing happens in the apps that are "multitasked" the app doesn't know it was closed but it also doesn't continue processing. So its supposed to be a short cut to get back to an app you were using before something else happened like a phone call. I don't need help reopening an app, especially when it takes double clicking the home button and then clicking the icon. Heck I can do it faster by clicking the icon on the home screen. So now apps I really want to close, DON'T which is stupid. At lease Apple could make this an option in settings.

Other crummy features, rotation. Nothing worse than using an app like SMS and you just move your hand slightly and opps you are in landscape. But wait if I wiggle the iphone it will go back to portrait, no no no a lot of times it will not. Again this should be a setting either per app or globaly at a minimum.

Other crummy features, icon deletion or moving. Can't tell you how many times I have activated this dumb option by accident and rearranged the screen or mistakenly deleted an app. How about something simple hold the home button and an icon at the same time for 5 seconds to activate move/delete. Nope Apple is too busy "Thinking Different".

Other crummy features, half *** implementation of the notification screen. Calander events only display 24 hours before the event, that's pretty dumb, how about letting the user decide how far in advance they would like to see upcoming events.

Other crummy features, date selection in any app. The silly wheel spin to select a month and another wheel to select the date is HORRIBLE you have no idea if the day you are selecting is a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. Just plain stupid.

And CoverFlow is so stupid I can't even imagine anyone using it.

Apple "Think Different" and implement things your consumers want not what your goofy programmers thought would be cool.

Nov 19, 2011 9:48 AM in response to vijer

Apple "Think Different" and implement things your consumers want not what your goofy programmers thought would be cool.

So, who put the loaded and cocked .357 magnum to your head and forced you to buy an iPhone? Does someone pay you well to humiliate and degrade yourself this way, or are you compelled by personality disorder?

Nov 19, 2011 5:37 PM in response to roaminggnome

Really. You can have high user satisfaction and still implement a lot of stuff users don't like.

Perhaps you are too dumb to know several of the new features in IOS 5 where ideas implemented in the jailbreak community a year or more ago. But even then Apple did a bad job, multitasking as done by the jailbreak community was better.

Disable Multitasking in iOS 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.